Proving the Identity Property in Abelian Groups

In summary, the conversation discusses the question of whether in an abelian group, if xx=e then x=e. The group G is defined as abelian with an identity element "e". The group is finite and the argument is about all abelian groups with xx=e. The main argument states that the result is true if and only if the group has odd order, and to disprove the statement, only one counterexample is needed. The conversation also briefly mentions the additive group of integers modulu 4 and provides an example to illustrate the concept of modulo. The conversation ends with a thank you to the person who helped clarify the concept.
dorin1993
Hi guys,

I have quastion about groups:

G is abelian group with an identity element "e".
If xx=e then x=e.

Is it true or false?

I was thinking and my feeling is that it's true but I just can't prove it.

I started with:

(*) ae=ea=a
(*) aa^-1 = a^-1 a = e
those from the definition of Group

and now the assuming: aa=e

then:

aa^-1 = e = aa
a=a^-1
==> a^-1 a = aa = e

that's all i got.
Is anyone can halp?

thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
what about the additive group of integers modulu 4?2 has order 2.

If G is finite, then you can prove that your result is true if and only if G has odd order.

But the main argument is about ALL abelian group with xx=e

To disprove a general statement, you only need one counterexample.

hedipaldi said:
what about the additive group of integers modulu 4?2 has order 2.

Do you mean grouo af all integers -
the identity element is 0
and for example 2 +(mod4) 2 = 0
although 2 ≠ 0
(I still trying to understand the modulo)

Yes, that is what he meant.

Thank you so much! :)

1. What is an abelian group?

An abelian group is a mathematical structure consisting of a set of elements and a binary operation, typically denoted as addition (+), that satisfies the commutative property (a + b = b + a) and other specific axioms. It is named after the mathematician Niels Henrik Abel and is a fundamental concept in abstract algebra.

2. What are some examples of abelian groups?

Some common examples of abelian groups include the set of integers (ℤ) with addition as the binary operation, the set of real numbers (ℝ) with multiplication as the binary operation, and the set of complex numbers (ℂ) with addition as the binary operation. Other examples include the set of rational numbers (ℚ), the set of nonzero integers modulo n (ℤn), and the set of polynomials with real coefficients.

3. What is the difference between an abelian group and a non-abelian group?

The main difference between an abelian group and a non-abelian group is that abelian groups satisfy the commutative property (a + b = b + a) while non-abelian groups do not. This means that the order in which the elements are combined in an abelian group does not affect the result, while in a non-abelian group it does. Another difference is that abelian groups have simpler and more symmetric structures compared to non-abelian groups.

4. What are the main properties of abelian groups?

Some of the main properties of abelian groups include the commutative property, the existence of an identity element (e) where a + e = e + a = a, the existence of inverse elements where a + (-a) = (-a) + a = e, and the associative property (a + b) + c = a + (b + c). Abelian groups also have closure under the binary operation, meaning that the result of combining two elements is always another element in the group.

5. What is the significance of abelian groups in mathematics and science?

Abelian groups have a wide range of applications in mathematics and science, particularly in abstract algebra, number theory, and physics. They provide a fundamental framework for understanding and solving problems in these fields, and their properties allow for the development of more complex structures such as rings, fields, and vector spaces. In science, abelian groups are used to model physical phenomena and analyze data, making them an essential tool in various research and practical applications.