Connect 3phase generator to purely resistive load

In summary: A 415/240V generator will be 50Hz and if it's not a UK installation then it may be a 60Hz system where the local standard may be 208Y/120V. In summary, the conversation discusses the most efficient way to wire a Stamford/Newage 125kva generator with a 415/240V rating and a power factor of 0.8. The load consists of 36 heating elements, each rated at 6Amps/240 Volts (1500 Watts), divided into 3 groups of 12 elements. The conversation suggests wiring the elements in parallel with one lead to a phase and the other to the neutral, and repeating for each phase. It also mentions the option of
jdominic
Hi. Most grateful for your suggestions on the following. My generator is a Stamford/Newage 125 kva, 1500 r.p.m., 174 Amps, 415/240 Volts rating and power factor is 0.8. The load comprises 36 heating elements, each element rated at 6Amps/ 240 Volts (1500 Watts). I have divided the elements into 3 groups , each group thus has 12 elements. What would be the most efficient way to wire this? Is a phase wire and a neutral per group the way to go?
Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hello JD - Welcome to PF.

It sounds like you have this right. Wire up the 12 elements in parallel, and then one of the leads to one of the phases and the other to the neutral. Repeat for each phase, when you are done the neutral should have three leads going to it.
Note: Each "leg" of the heater wiring will have 72A current - all told this is not really an amateur's project, I would at a minimum have a professional (like an electrician) review your work.

You haven't said whether there's a breaker panel.

You might find it easier to wire your generator 240 volt delta and use 3 phase breakers, each breaker feeding several heaters also delta.

That saves a neutral wire and keeps voltage between phases lower.
BUT- probably needs larger conductors.

We don't know your installation or local electrical code.
sooo,,,
Talk it over with your electricians ...

old jim

jim hardy said:
You haven't said whether there's a breaker panel.

You might find it easier to wire your generator 240 volt delta and use 3 phase breakers, each breaker feeding several heaters also delta.

That option isn't available to jdominic. A 415/240V rating doesn't mean the generator has switchable output voltages; it's the standard way of specifying 3 phase supply in the UK and compatible countries. It means that the output has 415V phase to phase (delta connected) and 240V phase to neutral (wye or star connected). As jdominic has 240V heaters they have to be connected phase to neutral and hence the installation does need phase and neutral connections to each heater (along with the appropriate Earth mat, conductors and cross-bonding).
jim hardy said:
That saves a neutral wire and keeps voltage between phases lower.
BUT- probably needs larger conductors.
A neutral conductor is still required but keeping the load balanced (i.e. the same) across the 3 phases will allow its size to be reduced. If it's going to be possible to switch subsets of the heaters on, jdominic should keep equal numbers of heaters on each phase in each subset. (3-phase breakers or contactors can be used for this.) The generator will also be happier running into a balanced load.
jim hardy said:
We don't know your installation or local electrical code.
sooo,,,
Talk it over with your electricians ...
Agreed.

It means that the output has 415V phase to phase (delta connected) and 240V phase to neutral (wye or star connected).

Graham are you sure about that?

Since 415 is 240√3, i'd assume that his generator has three 240 volt windings which,
when connected delta,
give 240 volts phase to phase with no neutral

and when connected wye,
give 415 volts phase to phase and 240 phase to neutral.

image (courtesy of anaheim automation, via google images ) for a 220/380 machine,
... same √3 relation as 240/415 to nearest volt.

ACP-M%20wiring2%20(600x301).png

this website claims his brand of generator has twelve wire connections
https://www.cumminsgeneratortechnologies.com/en/products/stamford/uc/uc27/
•Windings offered are 12-wire reconnectable (for single or three phase)
which suggests that each winding is actually two half voltage windings , allowing 120/208 voltage too.

perhaps op can post a photo of nameplate or page from his manual...?

Last edited:
jim hardy said:
Graham are you sure about that?

Since 415 is 240√3, i'd assume that his generator has three 240 volt windings which,
when connected delta, give 240 volts phase to phase with no neutral and when connected wye, give 415 volts phase to phase and 240 phase to neutral.

this website claims his brand of generator has twelve wire connections
https://www.cumminsgeneratortechnologies.com/en/products/stamford/uc/uc27/

perhaps op can post a photo of nameplate or page from his manual...?

Ah yes. I was considering the load point of view but, yes, if the generator wiring gives that flexibility your proposal is good too. Thanks for the extra information.

The ratings book here gives more details of the wiring options:
https://www.cumminsgeneratortechnologies.com/www/en/download/ratingsbook/RatingsBook.pdf

The op needs to check the data sheets for the specific model number of his generator to check which wiring options are possible on his generator - I got the impression that you can't have every option on every generator but it's tricky to check without a generator to look at.

And again the op needs to check with his electrician that 240V phase to phase operation is acceptable for his local installation code.

1. How do I connect a 3-phase generator to a purely resistive load?

The first step is to determine the type of connection your generator and load require. If you have a 3-phase generator and a purely resistive load, you will need to use a delta connection. This means connecting the three phases in a triangular pattern, with the load connected between any two phases.

2. Can I connect a 3-phase generator to a single-phase resistive load?

Yes, it is possible to connect a 3-phase generator to a single-phase resistive load. However, you will need to use a phase converter to convert the 3-phase power into single-phase power before connecting it to the load. Alternatively, you can use one of the three phases from the generator to power the single-phase load.

3. What is the advantage of using a 3-phase generator with a purely resistive load?

The main advantage of using a 3-phase generator with a purely resistive load is that it allows for a more balanced distribution of power. This means that each phase is carrying an equal amount of power, resulting in a more efficient use of the generator's capacity. It also reduces the risk of overloading any one phase.

4. Do I need to match the voltage and frequency of the generator to the load?

Yes, it is important to match the voltage and frequency of the generator to the load to avoid damaging either the generator or the load. Most 3-phase generators are designed to produce 120/208V or 277/480V at 60Hz frequency, so make sure your load can handle this voltage and frequency before connecting it.

5. How do I calculate the power output of a 3-phase generator connected to a purely resistive load?

The power output of a 3-phase generator connected to a purely resistive load can be calculated by multiplying the line-to-line voltage by the line current and then by the square root of three (1.732). This will give you the total power output in watts. Keep in mind that this calculation assumes a balanced load, so if your load is not balanced, the power output will be different.