How to Interpret an Altitude vs Local Time Graph for Astronomy?

In summary, the provided information and results appear to be accurate and the shape of the lines on the graph can give some insights into the objects being observed.
bayan
Hi, I need some help with interpreting an altitude vs local time graph.

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/4871/astronomygraph.jpg is a link to the graph and some of the questions that were asked about the graph.

also this information was provided: Date of observation: christmas night 2015, Southern hemisphere, ignore daylight savings.

For the RA of objects I got the order as 2,1,moon,3=4,5 (just listed them according to max alt time)

For Declination I have them ordered as 3,moon,1,4,5,2 ( lowest alt first unless they appear as circumpolar)

The stars Declination I got by using moon as reference and I got the moons Declination roughly 18°N late during late December, hence star 1 is at 0°, star 4 at 32°S which is observation site and star 5 at 64°S

Any one able to tell me if I have the right results or how I should go about reading this graph? I am not sure as to why some most are curved shape and one with a straight line (star 4)

Regards

Astronomy news on Phys.org
The results that you have provided seem correct, and the shape of the lines can provide some information about the objects. The curved shape indicates that the object is moving across the sky and has a changing altitude throughout the night, while the straight line indicates that the object is a circumpolar object, which never sets below the horizon and so has a constant altitude throughout the night.

What is an Alt vs local Time graph?

An Alt vs local Time graph is a graphical representation of the relationship between altitude and local time. It shows how the altitude of an object changes over time as it moves across the sky.

What is the purpose of an Alt vs local Time graph?

The purpose of an Alt vs local Time graph is to track the movement of an object in the sky and determine its altitude at different times. It is commonly used in astronomy and navigation to study the motion of celestial bodies.

How is an Alt vs local Time graph created?

An Alt vs local Time graph is created by plotting the altitude of an object on the y-axis and the local time on the x-axis. The data is usually collected through observations or measurements and then plotted on a graph to show the relationship between the two variables.

What does the shape of an Alt vs local Time graph represent?

The shape of an Alt vs local Time graph represents the trajectory of the object in the sky. A straight line indicates a constant altitude, while a curved line indicates a change in altitude over time.

How can an Alt vs local Time graph be used to predict future movements?

An Alt vs local Time graph can be used to predict the future movements of an object by analyzing the trend of the graph. By observing the shape and direction of the line, one can estimate the altitude and position of the object at a future time.