Conductor and insulator losses

In summary, The generators at the power plant can be operated as either, constant voltage source (CVS), or constant current source (CCS). To obtain a CCS, you spin the generator at constant torque. The CVS is used exclusively in power distribution because losses are lower. Conductors lose more power than insulators, so they generate at 100% voltage all the time, & the current varies with load, & it is usually well below 100% capacity.
anhnha
Hi,
I need help to understand these statements:
The generators at the power plant can be operated as either, constant voltage source (CVS), or constant current source (CCS). To obtain a CVS, you spin the generator at constant speed. To obtain a CCS, you spin at constant torque. The CVS is used exclusively in power distribution because losses are lower. Conductors lose more power than insulators, so they generate at 100% voltage all the time, & the current varies with load, & it is usually well below 100% capacity.

Can you help me explain the bold part? I don't understand why insulator losses are taken into acount.
Where does these losses come from? With conductor losses, I think it is caused by resistance of the conductor but I am totally lost about insulator loss.

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no such thing as a perfect insulator, so as long as there is a path to ground there will be small currents passing along its surface. These currents are called leakage currents, and are typically very small compared to the line currents, and thus power losses through the insulators are very small compared to the wire losses through (i^2)R heating losses. If the insulators get contaminated however, now you've got more than losses to worry about.

Likes 1 person
Thanks,
Losses in conductor is: L = i^2*R
How can I calculate the loss in insulator?
And can you explain more about the bold sentences? I am not quite understand it.

It's a bit beyond my expertise, but insulator power losses are dependent upon a number of variables, like leakage distance, air temperature, and humidity, and losses are best determined through lab testing. Insulator power losses are orders of magnitude less than conductor losses: for a long transmission line, conductor losses might be a few MW, whereas insulator losses might be a few KW . Power lines have conductors sized for peak amperage during short term high temperature conditions; on a regular day to day basis, the conductors normally carry well below, on average, 40 percent of their current rating, so i^2*R losses are not as drastic as they would be if carrying full rated current all the time.

Sure, I can help explain the bold part for you. In this context, when we talk about losses in conductors and insulators, we are referring to the amount of energy that is lost in the form of heat as electricity passes through them. This is known as electrical resistance.

In the case of conductors, as you mentioned, this resistance is caused by the material itself and can vary depending on factors such as the type of metal, its thickness, and the temperature. This means that as electricity passes through a conductor, some of it is converted into heat, resulting in a loss of energy.

On the other hand, insulators, which are materials that do not conduct electricity, also have some level of electrical resistance. While it is much lower than that of conductors, it still results in some energy being lost as heat. This is why insulators are also taken into account when considering losses in a power system.

In terms of the bold statement, what it is saying is that in power distribution, where the goal is to transmit electricity at a constant voltage, it is more efficient to use a CVS (constant voltage source) rather than a CCS (constant current source). This is because, as the statement mentions, conductors lose more power than insulators. By using a CVS, the amount of energy lost due to resistance in the conductors is minimized, resulting in lower overall losses.

I hope this helps clarify the concept of conductor and insulator losses for you. Let me know if you have any further questions.

What is the difference between a conductor and an insulator?

A conductor is a material that allows the flow of electricity, while an insulator is a material that restricts the flow of electricity.

What causes losses in conductors and insulators?

Losses in conductors and insulators are caused by the conversion of electrical energy into heat energy due to the resistance of the material.

How do conductor and insulator losses affect electrical systems?

Conductor and insulator losses can cause a decrease in the efficiency of electrical systems, leading to energy wastage and increased costs.

Can conductor and insulator losses be reduced?

Yes, conductor and insulator losses can be reduced by using materials with lower resistance, minimizing the length of the conductors, and improving insulation materials.

What are some common examples of conductors and insulators?

Some common examples of conductors include copper, aluminum, and gold, while examples of insulators include rubber, plastic, and glass.