Algebraic properites of the direct sum

In summary, the statement is true if each Wi is a subspace of W, but not necessarily true if the direct sum equals V.
Bipolarity
Is the following statement true? I am trying to see if I can use it as a lemma for a larger proof:

Let ##V## be a vector space and let ##W, W_{1},W_{2}...W_{k} ## be subspaces of ##V##.
Suppose that ## W_{1} \bigoplus W_{2} \bigoplus ... \bigoplus W_{k} = W ##
Then is it always the case that:
## (W_{1} \cap W) \bigoplus (W_{2} \cap W) \bigoplus ... \bigoplus (W_{k} \cap W) = W ##

In essence, this is asking whether there is a distributive law compatible with the set intersection operation and the direct sum operation. I am only asking for a determination of whether the statement is true for false. I will work out the proof/counterexample for myself.

Thanks!

BiP

Physics news on Phys.org
Ask yourself whether the Wi are subspaces of W

lavinia said:
Ask yourself whether the Wi are subspaces of W

It is obvious if they are subspaces of ##W##, but what if they aren't?

BiP

Bipolarity said:
It is obvious if they are subspaces of ##W##, but what if they aren't?

BiP

If W is the direct sum of the Wi then show me an element of one of the Wi's that is not in W

Bipolarity said:
Is the following statement true? I am trying to see if I can use it as a lemma for a larger proof:

Let ##V## be a vector space and let ##W, W_{1},W_{2}...W_{k} ## be subspaces of ##V##.
Suppose that ## W_{1} \bigoplus W_{2} \bigoplus ... \bigoplus W_{k} = W ##
Then is it always the case that:
## (W_{1} \cap W) \bigoplus (W_{2} \cap W) \bigoplus ... \bigoplus (W_{k} \cap W) = W ##

In essence, this is asking whether there is a distributive law compatible with the set intersection operation and the direct sum operation. I am only asking for a determination of whether the statement is true for false. I will work out the proof/counterexample for myself.

Thanks!

BiP
As it stands, the answer is obviously yes, since each ##W_i## is a subspace of ##W##, and hence ##W_ i\cap W=W_i##.

But I assume that there is a typo and that you meant ## W_{1} \bigoplus W_{2} \bigoplus ... \bigoplus W_{k} = V ##. Then, the answer is no. It is almost trivial to find a counterexample in R2.

1. What is the direct sum of two algebraic properties?

The direct sum of two algebraic properties, denoted as A ⊕ B, is a new algebraic structure formed by combining the elements of A and B without any duplication. In other words, it is the union of A and B, but with additional conditions that ensure the structure is well-defined and follows specific rules.

2. How is the direct sum different from a regular union?

While a regular union combines two sets without any restrictions, the direct sum has additional conditions that must be satisfied. For example, in the direct sum of two vector spaces, the elements must be able to be added together and multiplied by scalars, whereas in a regular union, there are no such requirements.

3. Can the direct sum be applied to more than two algebraic properties?

Yes, the direct sum can be applied to any number of algebraic properties. For example, the direct sum of three vector spaces, A ⊕ B ⊕ C, is formed by combining the elements of all three spaces without any duplication and following the rules of vector space addition and scalar multiplication.

4. What is the purpose of the direct sum in algebra?

The direct sum has several applications in algebra, including defining new structures, proving theorems, and simplifying calculations. By combining two or more algebraic properties, we can create new structures and study their properties. Additionally, the direct sum can help prove theorems by breaking them down into simpler cases. Finally, the direct sum can simplify calculations by reducing the number of elements that need to be considered.

5. How does the direct sum relate to other algebraic operations?

The direct sum is closely related to other algebraic operations such as direct product and tensor product. The direct product, denoted as A × B, combines the elements of A and B with no additional conditions, while the tensor product, denoted as A ⊗ B, combines the elements of A and B and follows specific rules. In comparison, the direct sum is a special case of the tensor product, where the additional conditions are that the elements must be able to be added and multiplied by scalars.