Aluminum and iron(III) reaction

In summary, the conversation discusses the unexpected reaction between aluminum metal and iron chloride solution, with a focus on the creation of hydrogen gas on the surface of the aluminum. The individual is seeking information on the reaction and its balanced equation, specifically regarding the fate of oxygen from the water. Research on iron chloride and its use as an acidic etchant is suggested.
kevinnn
I was not expecting there to be a reaction between aluminum metal and a solution of iron chloride. I thought the aluminum would be oxidized and the iron reduced. What is the reaction that is occurring that is creating hydrogen gas on the surface of the aluminum? I know it has to do with aluminum reacting with the hydronium ions in solution but I can't come up with a balanced equation because i don't know what happens to the oxygen from the water. Thanks.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Perhaps you should do some research on iron (ferric) chloride.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron(III)_chloride

When it is dissolved in water, it makes an acidic solution. This solution is commonly used as a cheap etchant for making home-made circuit boards. If the solution is strong enough, it will etch metals like aluminum.

1. What happens when aluminum and iron(III) react?

When aluminum and iron(III) react, a displacement reaction occurs where the aluminum atoms replace the iron(III) atoms in the compound. This results in the formation of aluminum oxide and iron metal.

2. Is the reaction between aluminum and iron(III) exothermic or endothermic?

The reaction between aluminum and iron(III) is exothermic, meaning it releases heat energy. This can be observed by the increase in temperature during the reaction.

3. What are some practical applications of the aluminum and iron(III) reaction?

The reaction between aluminum and iron(III) is used in the production of thermite, a mixture of aluminum and iron(III) oxide that is used in welding and incendiary devices. It is also used in the production of iron and steel alloys.

4. How does the concentration of iron(III) affect the reaction with aluminum?

The reaction rate between aluminum and iron(III) is dependent on the concentration of iron(III) ions. A higher concentration of iron(III) ions will result in a faster reaction, while a lower concentration will result in a slower reaction.

5. Are there any safety concerns when conducting the aluminum and iron(III) reaction?

Yes, it is important to handle the reactants and products with caution as they can be potentially harmful. The reaction also produces high temperatures, so it should be conducted in a controlled environment with proper safety measures in place.