How are chemical bonds described by quantum mechanics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of quantum mechanics and atomic bonds. The individuals involved are currently studying physics and are struggling to understand the concept of overlapping orbitals and how it relates to the formation of bonds between atoms. They also touch on the concept of potential energy and the role of the Pauli exclusion principle in atomic repulsion. The conversation concludes with suggestions for further reading and resources to better understand the topic.
quantumcat
I'm currently doing my Bachelor's in Physics(1st year). My textbooks aren't too clear on quantum mechanical concepts. "Bonds are formed by overlapping orbitals". I have several questions.
I've seen the graph of potential energy versus distance. For some pairs of atoms like hydrogen it dips at a certain distance and increases, whereas for others, like two Helium atoms it keeps going up. Why is this? I'm assuming the repulsion arises out of the Pauli exclusion principle, but why do some pairs of atoms have a lower potential state while others don't? We've dabbled a bit into molecular orbitals but its rather confusing. Is it that quantum math(Schroedinger's equation) allows such states only for certain pairs of atoms? We've not done a detailed section on Schroedinger"s equation yet, just the basics.
Next up, because all orbitals(except for s) are directional, does a bond form only when the atoms approach at a certain angle?

I look forward to a great time at Physics Forums!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
The quantum mechanics of atomic bonds is usually a senior or postgrad study.
It is possible you don;t have the tools to understand it beyond "overlapping orbitals".
Is this a chemistry course you are doing?

quantumcat said:
I'm currently doing my Bachelor's in Physics(1st year). My textbooks aren't too clear on quantum mechanical concepts. "Bonds are formed by overlapping orbitals". I have several questions.

I've seen the graph of potential energy versus distance. For some pairs of atoms like hydrogen it dips at a certain distance and increases, whereas for others, like two Helium atoms it keeps going up. Why is this?
Because that is what you get when you do the maths.

It sounds like you are talking about a graph of the work needed to get two nuclei a particular distance apart. The dip is because the electrons are able to partly counteract the repulsion of the nuclei.

I'm assuming the repulsion arises out of the Pauli exclusion principle,
... that would be a poor assumption. Nuclei have the same charge, so they repel each other.

.. but why do some pairs of atoms have a lower potential state while others don't? We've dabbled a bit into molecular orbitals but its rather confusing. Is it that quantum math(Schroedinger's equation) allows such states only for certain pairs of atoms?
It is because there are different configurations of energy states for different atoms.
This is something you'll get in more detail later.

Oversimplifying: as two atoms get closer together the potential wells of the nuclei add together - this has the effect of lowering the potential barrier between them. If the barrier is lower than the higher occupied energy levels, then a bond can form.

However, due to the repulsion of the nuclei, it may not be possible for the atoms to get close enough for that to happen. The details is in the exact pattern of energy levels in each atom.

You end up with rules about filling shells.

Next up, because all orbitals(except for s) are directional, does a bond form only when the atoms approach at a certain angle?
Kind of but not relevant since atoms are constantly rotating and jostling each other about so there is no need to be exact. Magnets are directional too, but you can get them to join up by putting them in a box and shaking it.

The directional nature of the states gives some molecules their characteristic shapes.

quantumcat said:

There is something in quantum chemistry called the linear combination of atomic orbitals (LCAO) method. It involves both the constructive (bonding) and destructive (antibonding) interference of atomic orbitals when they overlap. This is how we construct a wavefunction for the molecule. Another way we model molecules involves the symmetry species; this is called the symmetry-adapted LCAO method. It runs much deeper than is possible to explain at this point because you must learn group theory first. Fortunately, this is a very rudimentary concept and you might be taught soon. Ask your instructor if this is something you will end up covering. If not, and this is an area of study that you are interested in, you should consider taking a physical chemistry class.

Welcome to the forums!

Last edited:
quantumcat said:
That's the case with molecular fragments and radicals but not with atoms. In atoms, although individual orbitals have directional character, like e.g. p orbitals, there are several of them and you can form superpositions of them pointing in any direction, especially along the bond axis.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm afraid I'll have to wait for some time to fully understand the topic. It is going over my head right now.

Alternatively, you could get hold of some decent book on quantum chemistry and do some reading.
I recommend e.g. Ira Levine, Quantum Chemistry.

I remember it took me a lot of playing about with plots to get it.

I'll take a look definitely. Thanks.

1. How does quantum mechanics describe chemical bonds?

Quantum mechanics describes chemical bonds as interactions between the electrons in the outermost energy levels of atoms. These interactions involve the exchange or sharing of electrons, resulting in the formation of a stable molecule.

2. What role do electrons play in chemical bonding according to quantum mechanics?

Electrons are the key players in chemical bonding according to quantum mechanics. They are described as having wave-like properties and are responsible for the attractive forces between atoms that form chemical bonds.

3. How does quantum mechanics explain the strength of chemical bonds?

Quantum mechanics explains the strength of chemical bonds by considering the energy levels and spatial arrangement of electrons in the bonding atoms. The closer and more stable the arrangement of electrons, the stronger the bond.

4. Are there different types of chemical bonds described by quantum mechanics?

Yes, there are three main types of chemical bonds described by quantum mechanics: covalent bonds, ionic bonds, and metallic bonds. Each type involves a different way in which electrons are shared or transferred between atoms.

5. How does quantum mechanics explain the properties of molecules?

Quantum mechanics explains the properties of molecules by considering the arrangement of atoms and the distribution of electrons within the molecule. These factors determine the molecule's shape, polarity, and other physical and chemical properties.