Why No Explosion? The Science Behind Temperature and Pressure in Tires

• Thread starter Science
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Explosion
In summary, the pressure of a gas varies directly with its temperature if all else is held constant. However, this is not exactly true, and the theoretical maximum air temperature after compression is much higher than the starting temperature of 2 degrees Celsius. The actual temperature will also be higher due to heat loss and resistance, but it is still above 2 degrees Celsius. The reason why the tires won't explode when the temperature increases to 20 degrees Celsius is because the pressure will only increase by about 1.07-fold instead of 10-fold, and the gas equation takes into account temperature in Kelvin's scale. This means that the temperature change from 2 to 20 degrees Celsius is actually a change from 275 K to 2750
Science
It is scientific fact that that if all else is held constant, the pressure of a gas varies directly with its temperature. In other words, if you have a gas in a sealed, insulated, rigid container and you double its temperature, its pressure will also double. If you triple the temperature, the pressure will triple, etc. This is not EXACTLY true, but it is close enough for the purpose of this teaser.

Why is it, then, that If I were to fill my tires with 32 psi of air on a day that is 2 degrees Celsius, the tires won't explode if the temperature later increases to 20 degrees Celsius (which would seemingly increase the pressure 10-fold to 320 psi, well beyond the capacity of most tires)?

Assume that the temperature of the air in the tire always matches the temperature outdoors: it starts at 2 degrees and ends at 20 degrees.
Also ignore the fact that the tires will expand.

Physics news on Phys.org
Something to do with the temperature scale, you need to find Kelvin for the answer.

Someone slashed your tire!

Science said:
Why is it, then, that If I were to fill my tires with 32 psi of air on a day that is 2 degrees Celsius, the tires won't explode if the temperature later increases to 20 degrees Celsius (which would seemingly increase the pressure 10-fold to 320 psi, well beyond the capacity of most tires)?

The pressure will only increase by about 1.07-fold instead of 10-fold.

The theoretical max. air temperature after compression is that calculated by adiabatic process and is much above 2deg.C. Considering heat loss to ambient and polytropic process, actual temperature reduces but still above 2deg.C. Further, filled air temperature need not be equal to that of ambient air due to the resistance of tube and tyre material.

can some one explain that ?

quark said:
The theoretical max. air temperature after compression is that calculated by adiabatic process and is much above 2deg.C. Considering heat loss to ambient and polytropic process, actual temperature reduces but still above 2deg.C. Further, filled air temperature need not be equal to that of ambient air due to the resistance of tube and tyre material.

Although I'm sure this makes sense to people who know more about this than me, I think the basic reason is explained by AntonVrba and wave.

Gas equation takes into account temperature in Kelvin's scale pV = nRT, so tenfold increase wouldn't be 2°C -> 20°C but 275 K (= 2°C) to 2750 K = (2477 °C). But I think you'd have to worry about your tires melting then, not bursting :)

Anton and wave have both hinted at the answer.

The OP was wrong to use the Celsius scale. He should have used Kelvin. Doubling 2 degrees Celsius gives 277 Celsius, not 4 degrees Celsius.

In any case, he's either left or been banned, so there's no helping some people...

I got a PM from the OP inviting me to join another forum. Thought it was kind of strange. Suspect the OP spam'd all of us good folks here on PF.

Why is there no explosion in outer space?

In order for an explosion to occur, there needs to be a source of oxygen to fuel the reaction. In the vacuum of outer space, there is no oxygen, so explosions cannot occur.

Why do some explosions make a loud noise while others are silent?

The loudness of an explosion depends on the amount of energy released and the medium through which it travels. Explosions in open air produce a loud noise because the sound waves can travel far and are not absorbed as easily. In contrast, underwater explosions may be silent because water is more dense and absorbs the sound waves.

Do all explosive materials produce the same type of explosion?

No, the type of explosion depends on the properties of the explosive material. Some materials may produce a rapid and powerful explosion, while others may produce a slow and more controlled explosion.

Can explosions occur without fire?

Yes, explosions can occur without fire. Explosions are caused by a rapid release of energy, and fire is just one way that this energy can be released. For example, some chemical reactions can cause explosions without producing fire.

Are explosions always dangerous?

Explosions can be dangerous, but they are not always. It depends on the size and location of the explosion, as well as the materials involved. Some explosions may be controlled and used for beneficial purposes, such as in mining or construction.