Help with Probabilities of a Decision Tree - No Cost Between Links 3-14

• Thread starter mk001
  • Start date
In summary, the probabilities attached to the branches of the nodes are given as inputs and are not calculated. The costs shown on the diagram are also fictional.
mk001
Could someone please show me how they arrive at the probabilities attached to the branches of this nodes.
Why is there no cost between on link 3,4,5,10,11,12,13,14 --------is this correct ?

The link to this tree is below

http://www.me.utexas.edu/~jensen/ORMM/computation/unit/decision/example.html

ps iwas of the opinion that this was an lp problem

Physics news on Phys.org
mk001 said:
Could someone please show me how they arrive at the probabilities attached to the branches of this nodes.
It looks like the prob's are inputs (data) and you are to take them as given, just like the fictional costs stated on the diagram.

Hello,

I would be happy to help explain the probabilities attached to the branches of the decision tree and why there is no cost between certain links.

First, let's start with the basics. A decision tree is a visual representation of a decision-making process, where each node represents a different decision or event, and the branches represent the possible outcomes or consequences of that decision or event. The probabilities attached to each branch represent the likelihood of that particular outcome occurring.

Now, looking at the decision tree in the link you provided, we can see that there are certain nodes where there is no cost between certain links. This means that the decision or event at that node does not incur any cost or consequence. In other words, the outcome of that decision does not affect the overall outcome of the problem.

For example, at node 3, the decision is whether to accept or reject the project. If the project is accepted, we move to node 4 where the decision is whether to launch the project or not. However, if the project is rejected, the problem ends and there is no further cost or consequence. This is why there is no cost between links 3 and 4. Similarly, at nodes 5, 10, 11, 12, 13, and 14, the decision does not have any impact on the final outcome, so there is no cost associated with those links.

I hope this helps clarify the probabilities and the lack of cost between certain links. As for whether this is an LP problem, it is not. LP (linear programming) is a mathematical optimization technique used to find the best solution to a problem with linear constraints. The decision tree in this case is used to model a decision-making process, not to optimize a solution.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is a decision tree?

A decision tree is a graphical representation of all the possible outcomes of a decision, based on a series of interconnected nodes and branches. It is commonly used in data analysis to help visualize and understand complex decision-making processes.

2. How do probabilities factor into a decision tree?

Probabilities are assigned to each possible outcome in a decision tree to represent the likelihood of that outcome occurring. This allows for a more accurate understanding of the potential outcomes and can help in making informed decisions.

3. How is cost typically incorporated into a decision tree?

Cost is often included as a factor in decision trees to help determine the most cost-effective option. This can be done by assigning a monetary value to each outcome or by considering the cost of each decision branch.

4. What is meant by "no cost between links 3-14"?

This means that there is no cost associated with the decision branches between nodes 3 and 14 in the decision tree. In other words, these branches do not require any resources or incur any expenses.

5. How can decision trees be useful in making decisions?

Decision trees can be helpful in decision-making processes as they provide a visual representation of all possible outcomes and their associated probabilities and costs. This allows individuals to assess the potential risks and benefits of each decision and make informed choices.