Evaluation of Numerical series by Fourier series

In summary, you can solve these problems if you know the trick for finding the coefficients of a Fourier series.
siddharth
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I have some problems which says show that
(i) [tex] \sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{1}{n^4} = \frac{\pi^4}{90} [/tex]
and
(ii) [tex] \sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{(-1)^{n-1}}{n^2} = \frac{\pi^2}{12} [/tex]
And another one which says, show that for [tex] 0<x<\pi [/tex]
[tex] sin x + \frac{sin 3x}{3} + \frac{sin 5x}{5} + ... = \frac{\pi}{4} [/tex]
The problem is that, the function I am supposed to work with ([tex] f(x) [/tex]) is not given. So I want to know if there is some way to find out which function I should start out with to achieve the results.
If I know f(x), I can write it as a Fourier series and then substitute values of x to get the numerical series. But without knowing what f(x) to start with, I am stuck.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
all you can do find the functions whose Fourier series are really close to the ones you listed. that's all i could do anyway when i had to solve those sorts of problems.

Just use the formula for the coefficients of the Fourier series! But solve them for the function, instead of for the coefficients!

(I don't know if it would work, but if I had thought what you did, it seems to me to be the obvious next step)

I got the third problem. That's the Fourier series for [tex] f(x)=\frac{\pi}{4} [/tex] in sine's. ( That was pretty obvious!)
I have noticed that if I expand [itex] f(x)=x^2 [/itex] in [itex] [-\pi, \pi] [/itex] and then put [itex] x=\pi [/itex], I get the value of
[tex] \sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{1}{n^2} [/tex]
So, perhaps for
[tex] \sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{1}{n^4} [/tex], I have to start with [tex] f(x)=x^4 [/tex]?
Finding the coeffecients in this case would require a lot of integration by parts. I'll try that and see if it works.

There are at least 3 ways of doing this problem!

1° I guess the easiest way is the one mentioned by Hurkyl. Unfortunately, you need to know a function whose Fourier serie is just right such that when evaluated at a key number (such as 0, pi/2, 5pi, etc) you get the desired serie on one side of the equality, and a number on the other side. Personally, I don't know any function that even has 1/n^4 in its coefficient. :frown:

2° Another way is by Perseval's identity. Or at least a particular case of the more general identity perhaps. I'm talking about "If f is continuous on the circle, then

[tex]\frac{1}{\pi}\int_{-\pi}^{\pi} |f(x)|^2dx = \frac{a_0^2}{2}+\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}(a_n^2+b_n^2)[/tex]

This identity is particularily useful in the case where you have developed f as an even or an odd function. Then if a_n or b_n is proportionnal to 1/n², you're in bizz. And even/odd functions with a_n or b_n proportional to 1/n², THAT I know of.

3° The third way is the most powerful of the three. With it, you can find the value of any serie of the type

[tex]\sum_n \frac{1}{n^i}[/tex]

and

[tex]\sum_n \frac{(-1)^n}{n^i}[/tex]

where i is even. It's quite long to write so unless someone specifies that he wants to know the trick, I won't write it out.

quasar987 said:
2° Another way is by Perseval's identity. Or at least a particular case of the more general identity perhaps. I'm talking about "If f is continuous on the circle, then
[tex]\frac{1}{\pi}\int_{-\pi}^{\pi} |f(x)|^2dx = \frac{a_0^2}{2}+\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}(a_n^2+b_n^2)[/tex]
This identity is particularily useful in the case where you have developed f as an even or an odd function. Then if a_n or b_n is proportionnal to 1/n², you're in bizz. And even/odd functions with a_n or b_n proportional to 1/n², THAT I know of.
Ok, I know that for x², the a_n's are propotional to 1/n². And that (a_n)^2 is 16/n² while the b_n's are 0. So that works! Thanks a lot!
quasar987 said:
3° The third way is the most powerful of the three. With it, you can find the value of any serie of the type
[tex]\sum_n \frac{1}{n^i}[/tex]
and
[tex]\sum_n \frac{(-1)^n}{n^i}[/tex]
where i is even. It's quite long to write so unless someone specifies that he wants to know the trick, I won't write it out.

If you have the time, I would be interested to know this

∫_0^π▒αt d(ωt)
where α is a constant and ω is the angular velocity of a wave.

can't sove these question?

The answer to the my question is απ/2 but don't know how the book got it.

1. What is a Fourier series?

A Fourier series is a mathematical representation of a periodic function using a combination of sine and cosine functions. It is used to approximate a function by breaking it down into simpler components.

2. What is the purpose of evaluating numerical series by Fourier series?

The purpose of evaluating numerical series by Fourier series is to approximate a function and analyze its behavior over a period of time. It is commonly used in signal analysis and image processing to extract useful information and make predictions.

3. How is a Fourier series calculated?

To calculate a Fourier series, the coefficients of the sine and cosine functions are determined using a process called Fourier transform. These coefficients are then used to construct the series, which can then be used to approximate the original function.

4. What are the limitations of using Fourier series for numerical evaluation?

One limitation of using Fourier series for numerical evaluation is that it can only approximate periodic functions. It also requires a large number of terms to accurately represent a function, which can be computationally expensive.

5. How can Fourier series be used to improve numerical evaluations?

Fourier series can be used to improve numerical evaluations by providing a more accurate representation of a function. By using a higher number of terms, the approximation can be made closer to the original function. Additionally, Fourier series can be used to identify and remove any noise or unwanted components in a signal, improving the overall accuracy of the evaluation.