Conceptual question about longitudinal waves

In summary, the relationship between phase difference and wavelength is dependent on the proportion of the two waves' wavelengths.
Saladsamurai
So we are working on sound waves in my physics course now and I was doing some textbook reading. I have been following it pretty well, but I just came across a relationship that I am not quite following.

It is with reference to wave interference. Let us say that two sound waves are emitted from two different point sources [tex]S_1[/tex] and [tex]S_2[/tex]. The waves have the same wavelength [tex]\lambda[/tex] and are in phase at their sources. They take paths of lengths [tex]L_1[/tex] and [tex]L_2[/tex] and pass through point P.

The text says that their phase difference [tex]\phi[/tex] is dependent on [tex]\Delta L=|L_1-L_2|[/tex]

Thus to relate the variables [tex]\Delta L[/tex] and [tex]\phi[/tex] we can use the proportion: [tex]\frac{\phi}{2\pi}=\frac{\Delta L}{\lambda}[/tex]

I know that I should see it, but I don't exactly follow this proportion.

Could somebody ellaborate on this a little for me? I sure would appreciate,
Casey

Physics news on Phys.org
Suppose the equation of both waves is: y = Acos(kx) (going along the direction the wave is travelling)

The wavelength of this wave is 2*pi/k

So at the point of interest, suppose wave 1 has traveled L1, and wave 2 has traveled L2:

y1 = Acos(kL1)

y2 = Acos(kL2)

the phase of the first wave is kL1. the phase of the second is kL2.

phase difference is: kL1 - kL2 = [2*pi/wavelength]*(L1 - L2)

so from this we get the phase difference relationship.

learningphysics said:
Suppose the equation of both waves is: y = Acos(kx) (going along the direction the wave is travelling)

The wavelength of this wave is 2*pi/k

So at the point of interest, suppose wave 1 has traveled L1, and wave 2 has traveled L2:

y1 = Acos(kL1)

y2 = Acos(kL2)

the phase of the first wave is kL1. the phase of the second is kL2.

phase difference is: kL1 - kL2 = [2*pi/wavelength]*(L1 - L2)

so from this we get the phase difference relationship.
Ah. I see that now. Thanks LP. It makes even more sense now that I wrote out what you did^^^...the phase difference is [tex]\phi[/tex]

Casey

Last edited:

What is a longitudinal wave?

A longitudinal wave is a type of mechanical wave that travels through a medium by causing particles in the medium to vibrate in the same direction as the wave is moving. This means that the particles move back and forth parallel to the direction of the wave.

What are some examples of longitudinal waves?

Some common examples of longitudinal waves include sound waves, seismic waves, and pressure waves in fluids. These waves all travel through a medium by causing particles to compress and expand in the same direction as the wave is moving.

How do longitudinal waves differ from transverse waves?

The main difference between longitudinal waves and transverse waves is the direction in which the particles vibrate. In longitudinal waves, the particles vibrate parallel to the direction of the wave, while in transverse waves, the particles vibrate perpendicular to the direction of the wave.

What factors affect the speed of longitudinal waves?

The speed of a longitudinal wave is affected by the properties of the medium through which it is traveling, such as its density, elasticity, and temperature. In general, the denser and more elastic the medium, the faster the wave will travel.

How are longitudinal waves used in everyday life?

Longitudinal waves have many practical uses in everyday life. For example, sound waves are used in communication and entertainment, seismic waves are used to study the Earth's structure, and pressure waves are used in medical imaging techniques such as ultrasound. They are also used in various industrial and scientific applications, such as non-destructive testing and material analysis.