What Are the Key Ingredients in Red Bull Energy Drinks?

In summary: I'm not sure why they decided to remove phosphoric acid from the list of ingredients, but that's not really relevant to the discussion at hand.In summary, Malty suggested investigating the physical and biological aspects of energy drinks, and asked for any ideas. No one responded, so Malty provided a summary of the conversation.
L²Cc
Hello, any ideas of experiments that I can carry out which investigate the physics part of energy drinks? This can be anything from exploring the effect energy drinks has on the Horse Power of an individual to the index of refraction of the liquid itself.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
L²Cc said:
Hello, any ideas of experiments that I can carry out which investigate the physics part of energy drinks? This can be anything from exploring the effect energy drinks has on the Horse Power of an individual to the index of refraction of the liquid itself.

isn't that medicine and chemistry?

No, actually it's not medicine and chemistry. In fact, I'm confused as to why the site moved it to the chemistry section when the title of the thread explicitly suggests that the post deals with 'physics', hence why I placed it in 'physics' section. Anyway, as a school project, we are to investigate the biological, chemical and physical aspects of energy drinks. For chemistry, I will be determining the concentration of phosphoric acid in energy drinks (we've narrowed it down to Red Bull). As for physics, I've settled with measuring the Hp of an individual who has Red Bull in his/her system. But I find this experiment a bit weak and imprecise because there are many outside variables involved...Hence, I'm asking for any ideas...?!

Well I suppose you could test how it refracts light of different colours and how much each colour bends by, and if you wanted to be really fancy you could test whether it was optically active. You could also test the buoyancy of the drink, or how it reacts to temperature changes for example when ice is added to it. You could also test it as a potential energy drink rocket.
WARNING!
This is of course is very dangerous but if you wanted to give it try, simply take a bottle about a 1/3 full and keep pumping warm air into it, seal it shut, and then give it a shake somehow.. make sure not to be in too close of a proxitimity when this happens! You could then compare how high this drink launches to say ordinary water.

Tbh there is fine line between physics and chemistry but I'd say these kinda count as more physics than chemistry.

Thanks Malty. I really like your idea of the rocket, but wouldn't it be difficult measuring the height if you're claiming that the can flies very high into the air...would it be possible to have it parallel with the ground, instead of 'perpendicular' (if you see what i mean), and so I would have a starting point and an 'ending' point...I was thinking of comparing the speeds of the water bottle and the can by timing the time it takes the bottles to come to a full stop!

L²Cc said:
Thanks Malty. I really like your idea of the rocket, but wouldn't it be difficult measuring the height if you're claiming that the can flies very high into the air...would it be possible to have it parallel with the ground, instead of 'perpendicular' (if you see what i mean), and so I would have a starting point and an 'ending' point...I was thinking of comparing the speeds of the water bottle and the can by timing the time it takes the bottles to come to a full stop!

Oh yeah by all means parallel to the ground would make a lot more sense, but watching the rocket like effect going vertical is much more awesome! Just be careful carrying out this experiment! Also It wouldn't really go that high, but nevertheless it would still be hard to measure the height. Just remember that when "timing" something you must do repeat the experiment a few times to be precise because your reflexes and eye hand coordination won't be the same each time.

L²Cc said:
No, actually it's not medicine and chemistry. In fact, I'm confused as to why the site moved it to the chemistry section when the title of the thread explicitly suggests that the post deals with 'physics', hence why I placed it in 'physics' section. Anyway, as a school project, we are to investigate the biological, chemical and physical aspects of energy drinks. For chemistry, I will be determining the concentration of phosphoric acid in energy drinks (we've narrowed it down to Red Bull). As for physics, I've settled with measuring the Hp of an individual who has Red Bull in his/her system. But I find this experiment a bit weak and imprecise because there are many outside variables involved...Hence, I'm asking for any ideas...?!

Whoa Nellie!

Here is a list of ingredients for Red Bull:

Ingredients:
Carbonated water, sucrose, glucose, sodium citrate, taurine, glucuronolactone, inositol, niacin, D-pantothenol, pyridoxine HCL, vitamin B12, natural and artificial flavors, colors, caffeine

You will notice that there isn't any phosphoric acid there. The pH is controlled by sodium citrate, apparently.

Here are the levels of some of the ingredients:

Nutrition Facts:
Serving Size: 1 can; Amount per serving: Calories: 160; Total Fat: 0g; Sodium: 290mg; Protein: less than 1g; Total Carbohydrates: 40g; Sugars: 39g; Niacin: 140%; Vitamin B6: 360%; Vitamin B12: 120%; Pantothenic acid: 70%

What isn't shown is the caffeine content. It is about 80 milligrams or about as much as in a cup of coffee.

Search on Pantothenic acid, niacin, vitamins B6 and B12. How does your body use these ingredients and why would you put them into an energy drink? What about the other ingredients?

1. What is the main source of energy in energy drinks?

The main source of energy in energy drinks is caffeine. Energy drinks typically contain high levels of caffeine, which acts as a stimulant and can provide a temporary boost in energy and alertness.

2. How does caffeine affect the body?

Caffeine works by blocking the effects of adenosine, a neurotransmitter that can make you feel tired. This results in increased heart rate, blood pressure, and adrenaline levels, leading to feelings of alertness and energy.

3. Do energy drinks have any other ingredients that contribute to their effects?

Yes, energy drinks often contain other ingredients such as taurine, guarana, and B-vitamins that are believed to enhance the effects of caffeine and provide additional energy and focus.

4. Can energy drinks be harmful to your health?

While moderate consumption of energy drinks is generally considered safe for healthy adults, excessive or regular consumption can lead to negative health effects, such as increased anxiety, insomnia, and heart problems. It is important to limit your intake and be aware of any potential side effects.

5. Are there any alternative sources of energy besides energy drinks?

Yes, there are many natural and healthy alternatives to energy drinks, such as getting enough sleep, staying hydrated, and eating a balanced diet. Exercise can also provide a natural energy boost by increasing endorphins and circulation. Additionally, certain foods and drinks like green tea, dark chocolate, and fruit can provide a natural energy boost without the negative side effects of energy drinks.