Uniform Charge, Electric Field

In summary: Q1/R1^2) + (1/2πε) (Q2/R2^2) In summary, the problem involves finding the net magnitude of the electric field at a point due to two long uniform lines of charge with different charge per unit lengths. Using the equation E=1/2pi(Epsilon)*[Uniform Charge length/R^2], the two electric fields are added together as vectors. The resulting magnitude is given in N/C in scientific notation to three significant digits.
Digdug12

Homework Statement

A very long uniform line of charge has charge per unit length 5.38 micro coulombs /m and lies along the x-axis. A second long uniform line of charge has charge per unit length -3.66 micro coulombs /m and is parallel to the x-axis at y = 0.400m. What is the net magnitude of the electric field at the point y = 0.200m? Give your answer in N/C in scientific notation to three significant digits.

Homework Equations

E=1/2pi(Epsilon)*[Uniform Charge length/R^2]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried summing the two electric fields by using the above equation for each uniform charge and adding them together, however the answer is wrong. I also used 1/4pi(epsilon) but it was still wrong, what am i missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
Digdug12 said:

Homework Statement

A very long uniform line of charge has charge per unit length 5.38 micro coulombs /m and lies along the x-axis. A second long uniform line of charge has charge per unit length -3.66 micro coulombs /m and is parallel to the x-axis at y = 0.400m. What is the net magnitude of the electric field at the point y = 0.200m? Give your answer in N/C in scientific notation to three significant digits.

Homework Equations

E=1/2pi(Epsilon)*[Uniform Charge length/R^2]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried summing the two electric fields by using the above equation for each uniform charge and adding them together, however the answer is wrong. I also used 1/4pi(epsilon) but it was still wrong, what am i missing?

Keep i mind that the E-field is a vector field.

Add like a vector instead of just summing, because direction matters.

In this case since they are opposite signs, and your point is in the middle, your answer should be ...

|E| = |E1| + |E2|

When calculating the electric field from a uniform line of charge, you need to take into account the distance from the point to the line of charge. The equation you have used, E=1/2pi(Epsilon)*[Uniform Charge length/R^2], assumes that the point is at a distance R from the line of charge. However, in this problem, the point is at a distance of 0.2m from the line of charge, not R.

To correctly calculate the electric field at the point y=0.2m, you can use the superposition principle, which states that the net electric field at a point due to multiple charges is the vector sum of the individual electric fields at that point. In this case, you have two charges with different directions and magnitudes, so you need to add them as vectors.

The electric field from the first line of charge can be calculated using the equation E=1/2pi(Epsilon)*[Uniform Charge length/R], where R is the distance from the point to the line of charge. In this case, R=0.2m. The electric field from the second line of charge can be calculated using the same equation, but with a negative sign since the charge is in the opposite direction.

Once you have calculated the electric fields from both lines of charge, you can add them as vectors to find the net electric field at the point y=0.2m. The magnitude of the net electric field can then be expressed in Newtons per Coulomb (N/C) and rounded to three significant digits using scientific notation.

I hope this helps you find the correct solution. Remember to always consider the distance from the point to the line of charge when calculating the electric field from a uniform line of charge.

1. What is a uniform charge?

A uniform charge is a distribution of electric charge that is evenly spread out over a surface or volume. This means that the charge density (charge per unit area or volume) is constant throughout the region.

2. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a region in space where an electric force is exerted on charged particles. It is created by a source charge and can be described by the direction and strength of the force it exerts on other charges.

3. How is a uniform charge related to an electric field?

A uniform charge creates an electric field that is also uniform. This means that the electric field strength is constant throughout the region and has the same direction at every point.

4. What is the formula for electric field for a uniform charge?

The formula for electric field for a uniform charge is E = k * Q / r^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge of the source, and r is the distance from the source charge.

5. How does distance affect the electric field for a uniform charge?

The electric field strength decreases as distance from the source charge increases for a uniform charge. This is described by the inverse square law, which states that the electric field strength is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the source charge.