Can We Create Energy Like Living Organisms?

In summary, the bio-engine concept is not practical because currently available machines are not as efficient as humans and they require refined fuel.
T.O.E Dream
Do you think that in the future we'll be able to create a device that can create energy just like how our bodies or any other living things do. Such as eating, drinking, and breathing.

If not, then why?

Sorry, if this is against the forum rules but I would really just like to know if this might be practical.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would say a boiler does exactly that. It eats fuel, drinks water, and breathes air for combustion :rofl:.

Our consumption of food is essentially a combustion process like most of our energy sources - it's just how that energy is harnessed that is different.

Our bodies don't create energy. They convert it from one form to another and there are losses because of those conversions just like in any other conversion process.

T.O.E Dream said:
Do you think that in the future we'll be able to create a device that can create energy just like how our bodies or any other living things do. Such as eating, drinking, and breathing.

I don't get it. There are plenty of those around already. Horse, donkey, ox,...

I wonder whether we could create a bio-engine that just 'eats up' any organic matter we put in-fruits,rice, wheat,meat whatever; produce heat energy just like any living entity and then the heat should be converted to electricity and stored in a cell. It should be sort of a compact box that could be placed behind the vehicle. When we stop by the side of the highway to get ourselves a drink, we need to share some with our Bio-E and get miles in return..
The bio gas used now just makes use of the by product gases i think. In this case, the cell clump should work exclusively to provide energy to us. Any ideas to make this possible?

sganesh88 said:
I wonder whether we could create a bio-engine that just 'eats up' any organic matter we put in-fruits,rice, wheat,meat whatever; produce heat energy just like any living entity and then the heat should be converted to electricity and stored in a cell. It should be sort of a compact box that could be placed behind the vehicle. When we stop by the side of the highway to get ourselves a drink, we need to share some with our Bio-E and get miles in return..
The bio gas used now just makes use of the by product gases i think. In this case, the cell clump should work exclusively to provide energy to us. Any ideas to make this possible?

This is what I was trying to get at.

Hi there,

I don't think I understand the question that well. You want to have a machine where we fill with fuel, and it would transform the energy stored in it to do stuff. Isn't that what a car precisely does: you fill your car with gas, it converts the energy into machanical motion and makes the car go vroum vroum.

Cheers

After the clarification it seems that a big part of the question is to do with the diversity of the fuel we can use for our artificial engines? As people have already said, we have plenty of artificial devices that do pretty much what our bodies do, they are just not as complete a process (waste, maintenance etc) or as diverse with the fuel they need.

As an example, a solar panel is wonderfully simple in that it takes light and produces electricity, but it doesn't do much else.
Likewise, a car takes petrol and produces kinetic energy, but doesn't do much else.

A human body can take fuel from a lot of different 'unrefined' sources yet manages to produce a consistent output and manage at the same time things like waste and 'engine' maintenance. Perhaps the biggest difference is the intelligence it uses with which it seek out the fuel, deal with waste and generally just get on with things and be self sufficient, which machines currently don't do.

In many ways, machines are like babies in that:
-they need refined fuel
-they need it giving to them
-they also need somebody to deal with the waste!

It's just a shame that machines don't grow up to become more diverse and self sufficient like humans do... :-)

T.O.E Dream said:
Do you think that in the future we'll be able to create a device that can create energy just like how our bodies or any other living things do. Such as eating, drinking, and breathing..
The photosynthesis process for converting sunlight to food energy is very inefficient, susceptible to adverse weather events, and uses roughy 70% of fresh water consumption. Most of our food comes from C3 (Calvin cycle) plants (grains, etc) and is ~0.1% efficient in energy conversion efficiency. C3 photosynthesis stops at temperatures over 40 deg C. C4 plants (maize, sugarcane) are ~0.2% efficient. Compare to solar photovoltaic, which is ~20% efficient, and requires very little water.
Bob S

sganesh88 said:
I suppose we could do that now - you can burn food and other waste and get energy from it. Trash incinerators do it and like I said, that's basically how our bodies get energy from food. But food makes a rediculously poor fuel. Just think about how much waste our bodies produce and how little energy we get out of the food we eat! The human body generates about 150 watts or half a megajoule per hour - equivalent to about 11 grams of gasoline.

preety much what I'm saying is that it can use organic material and turn it into energy?

T.O.E Dream said:
preety much what I'm saying is that it can use organic material and turn it into energy?
I believe that organic matter contains about 5000 to 7500 Btu per pound, depending on its source. See biomass conversion numbers near the bottom in
http://bioenergy.ornl.gov/papers/misc/energy_conv.html [Broken]
I believe that public utilities can produce 1 kW-hour electricity from 10,000 to 12,000 Btu. Traditional coal-fired uttilities are ~34% efficient (10,000 Btu/kW-hr).
Bob S

Last edited by a moderator:
T.O.E Dream said:
Yes. What I'm saying is that whether it is oil or taco salad, the energy is the same: hydrocarbons. Oil is "organic material". Its just that oil has the energy stored much more efficiently than a taco salad does.

But would taco salad be more environment friendly?:smile:

But imagine if we can use something such as water as our energy supply. Our if we can harness chlorophyll and use it for energy. Can this one day be possible?

T.O.E Dream said:
But would taco salad be more environment friendly?:smile:
No, it is much, much worse. Probably an order of magnitude more pollution (depending on how you measure) for the same energy output.
But imagine if we can use something such as water as our energy supply.
Water is not fuel, it is ash. It's the primary waste product of proper combustion.
Our if we can harness chlorophyll and use it for energy. Can this one day be possible?
Again, we already do. That's what trees and oil are!

Or if you mean harness it directly - same answer as above: it is a bad idea because it is very inefficient and the energy density is very low.

It might be useful to compare the energy comsumption of people and automobiles.

One gallon of gasoline contains 125,000 BTU.

People burn about 500 BTU per hour sitting in a car.

Let's say we have a fuel efficient means of transportation that gets 50 mpg and we drive for 50 miles at 50 mph. The energy cost is 125,000 BTU.

The car requires 2,500 times as much energy. That's a lot of kibbles and bits.

OK. Let's not get it from the humans. How about using the relevant cells and techniques of a particular animal that needs to do eat less, excrete less but exert more- say a cheetah or something else like that. Life should have found out a clever way for that animal. We need to just use it.

Phrak said:
It might be useful to compare the energy comsumption of people and automobiles.

One gallon of gasoline contains 125,000 BTU.

Let's say we have a fuel efficient means of transportation that gets 50 mpg and we drive for 50 miles at 50 mph. The energy cost is 125,000 BTU.

The car requires 2,500 times as much energy. That's a lot of kibbles and bits.

is that a valid comparison though? shouldn't we look at work done seeing as the car is clearly achieving a lot more than the human in that one hour period?

We already have a source of energy that runs indefinately and emmits absolutely no wasted or dirty bi products, accept when disposing of the highly toxic and slowly degrading uranium (1,000 odd years) uranium. My guess is nuclear energy will be the main substitute for fossil energy world wide and in the very near future.

bjb34 said:
We already have a source of energy that runs indefinately and emmits absolutely no wasted or dirty bi products, accept when disposing of the highly toxic and slowly degrading uranium (1,000 odd years) uranium. My guess is nuclear energy will be the main substitute for fossil energy world wide and in the very near future.

But it's a non-renewable energy source that means once it's gone it's gone. Unless there's a way to get an unlimited source of uranium, it can't be a reliable source forever.

1. What is a future energy alternative?

A future energy alternative is a type of energy source that is being developed and researched to replace traditional fossil fuels. It is a sustainable and renewable energy source that aims to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and mitigate the effects of climate change.

2. Why is there a need for a future energy alternative?

There is a need for a future energy alternative because traditional fossil fuels such as coal, oil, and gas are non-renewable resources and will eventually run out. In addition, the burning of these fuels contributes to air pollution and climate change, making it crucial to find a more sustainable and environmentally-friendly energy source.

3. What are some examples of future energy alternatives?

Some examples of future energy alternatives include solar power, wind power, hydro power, geothermal energy, bioenergy, and nuclear power. These sources harness energy from the sun, wind, water, earth's heat, organic matter, and atomic reactions, respectively.

4. How is research being conducted on future energy alternatives?

Research on future energy alternatives is being conducted through various methods such as laboratory experiments, computational modeling, and field studies. Scientists are also working on improving existing technologies and developing new ones to make them more efficient and cost-effective.

5. What are the potential benefits of using a future energy alternative?

The use of a future energy alternative has several potential benefits. It can reduce our dependence on fossil fuels, decrease carbon emissions, create new job opportunities, and promote economic growth. In addition, it can also help to mitigate the effects of climate change and improve air quality.