What sort of experiments can be doen with Graphite ?

In summary: The Wikipedia page "Graphite" has a section "Occurrence, Properties, Uses". The section "Occurrence" states: "Graphite is not abundant on Earth, although it is widespread and commonly occurring in rocks and sedimentary materials." The section "Properties" states: "Graphite is a crystalline material, with a hexagonal structural unit cell. Its physical properties are intermediate between those of diamond and coal." The section "Uses" states: "Graphite is a major component of hard carbon (carbon with a relatively high carbon content, above about 2.5 wt. %)" The section "Further reading" has links to other Wikipedia
th3whit3fang
What sort of experiments can be doen with Graphite ??

I need experiments that can be done for the research of graphite.. GOt any ideas??

Physics news on Phys.org

Variation of resistance with temperature.

Carbon microphone.

Different resistances across different pairs of opposite faces in a graphite cube. [I've never tried this, and it might be difficult to do, owing to problems making contact in a standard and reproducible way with the faces. Area of contact (metal to graphite) and pressure applied would need to be the same.]

th3whit3fang said:
I need experiments that can be done for the research of graphite.. GOt any ideas??

th3whit3fang, Welcome to Physics Forums!

If I had that assignment I would start with the Wikipedia page "Graphite" to stimulate ideas for experiments.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphite

Check the sections "Occurrence, Properties, Uses". Don’ t forget these final sections, they can lead to far more information and ideas for your project:

"See also"
"References"
"Further reading"
"External links"

Cheers,
Bobbywhy

Thanks for your advises !

Philip Wood said:
Carbon microphone.

Can you explain how it could be done with graphite.. i searched for it and i got an experiment but it isn't so clear what was being done in the video..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhDzyK3-RSU

Last edited by a moderator:

One way to make a carbon microphone is to rest a piece of pencil 'lead' (that is graphite + a binding material) a few centimetres long on the edges of two razor blades. The set-up is [itex]\pi[/itex] shaped, with the razor blades forming the uprights, and the pencil 'lead' forming the bridge across the top. The 'terminals' of the microphone are the razor blades.

Connect the microphone in series with a battery (6 V, perhaps) and a resistor (100 [itex]\Omega[/itex], perhaps. Connect the y-amplifier input terminals of an oscilloscope across the resistor. Speak loudly near the pencil lead and you should see a corresponding trace on the oscilloscope, when you've adjusted the time-base and the y-gain.

It works - if it does work! - by the pressure variations in air due to the sound waves pushing the 'lead' more and less firmly on to the blades, changing the contact resistance between blades and lead. The series resistor completes a potential divider circuit.

Until quite recently carbon microphones (using carbon granules) were the standard microphone in telephone handsets. The quality of reproduction was never good.

Last edited:

Thanks man !

Please post if you try it.

How about diamagnetic levitation?

Last edited by a moderator:

They are different but does carbon fibre count as graphite in this context?

1. What is graphite and why is it commonly used in experiments?

Graphite is a form of carbon that is a good conductor of electricity and heat. It is commonly used in experiments because of its unique properties and its abundance in nature.

2. Can graphite be used in experiments involving high temperatures?

Yes, graphite has a high melting point of 3,600°C and can withstand high temperatures, making it suitable for experiments involving extreme heat.

3. How is graphite used in battery experiments?

Graphite is used as the anode in batteries because it has a high electrical conductivity and can easily store and release lithium ions, making it an efficient material for energy storage.

4. What are some common experiments that involve graphite as a lubricant?

Graphite is commonly used as a lubricant in experiments involving machinery, such as engines and motors, to reduce friction and wear between moving parts. It is also used in experiments involving metalworking and machining.

5. Is graphite toxic and what precautions should be taken when conducting experiments with it?

Graphite is generally considered non-toxic and is safe to handle, but caution should still be taken when working with it. Fine particles of graphite can irritate the skin, eyes, and respiratory system, so wearing gloves and a mask is recommended when handling it in powder form. Additionally, graphite dust can be flammable, so it should be kept away from open flames or sparks.