A problem about surface element

In summary, the conversation is about finding the surface element of a hemisphere in xyz coordinates and the difficulties the person is facing with this task. They mention knowing the answer in spherical coordinates, which is r^2sin(θ)dθdϕ (unit vector r). The person also asks for help in dealing with the unit vector of r and what its value would be at the point (0, A, 0). They suggest using 0i, 1j, 0k as the unit vector at this point.
VHAHAHA
I really don't know how to do this question as it asks me to write the surface element of a hemisphere in xyz coordinates. I know how to answer if it is asked in spherical coordinates.

I think this is a tricky question because it asks for the portion da near (0, A, 0) (in xyz) where A is the radius.

I guess da = dydz.

Attachments

• question.png
    question.png
    9.1 KB · Views: 382
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
VHAHAHA said:
I really don't know how to do this question as it asks me to write the surface element of a hemisphere in xyz coordinates. I know how to answer if it is asked in spherical coordinates.

I think this is a tricky question because it asks for the portion da near (0, A, 0) (in xyz) where A is the radius.

I guess da = dydz.
That doesn't look very vector-like.

attachment.php?attachmentid=55804&d=1361038640.png

You say you know the answer in spherical coordinates. What is the answer in spherical coordinates?

SammyS said:
That doesn't look very vector-like.

attachment.php?attachmentid=55804&d=1361038640.png

You say you know the answer in spherical coordinates. What is the answer in spherical coordinates?

it should be r^2sin(θ)dθdϕ (unit vector r)

VHAHAHA said:
it should be r^2sin(θ)dθdϕ (unit vector r)
What is the value of θ at (x,y,z) = (0,A,0) ? ... the value of r ?

SammyS said:
What is the value of θ at (x,y,z) = (0,A,0) ? ... the value of r ?

it is equal to 90 degree or pi/2
so i should plug this valve to the expression?
i have tried but the question needs me to express it in xyz coor,
how to deal with (unit vector of r)?

VHAHAHA said:
it is equal to 90 degree or pi/2
so i should plug this valve to the expression?
i have tried but the question needs me to express it in xyz coor,
how to deal with (unit vector of r)?
At the point, (0,A,0), what is [itex]\ \hat{r}\ [/itex] in terms of [itex]\ \hat{i},\,\hat{j},\,\hat{k}\ ?[/itex]

O, I get what u mean

at (0 A 0) , the r is along the y axis, so 0i, 1j , 0k ?

VHAHAHA said:
O, I get what u mean

at (0 A 0) , the r is along the y axis, so 0i, 1j , 0k ?
Just put this with dydz.

1. What is a surface element?

A surface element is a small, infinitesimal piece of a larger surface. It can be thought of as a tiny square or rectangle on a curved or flat surface.

2. Why is surface element important in science?

Surface element is important in science because it allows us to break down complex surfaces into smaller, more manageable pieces for analysis and calculations. It is also crucial in fields such as calculus and physics, where surface integrals and surface area calculations are necessary.

3. How is surface element calculated?

The calculation of surface element depends on the type of surface and the coordinate system being used. In general, it involves taking the cross product of two vectors tangent to the surface at a given point. In Cartesian coordinates, the surface element is given by dS = dx dy. In polar coordinates, it is given by dS = r dr dθ.

4. What are some applications of surface element?

Surface element has many practical applications in science and engineering. It is used in fluid dynamics to calculate surface forces and pressures, in electromagnetism to calculate electric and magnetic fields, and in thermodynamics to calculate heat transfer. It is also used in computer graphics and animation to create realistic 3D surfaces.

5. Are there any limitations to using surface element?

While surface element is a useful concept for breaking down complex surfaces, it does have its limitations. It assumes that the surface is smooth and continuous, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios. Additionally, the calculation of surface element can become more complex for non-Cartesian coordinate systems and irregular surfaces.