Would You Take a One-Way Trip to Mars?

• Thread starter Borg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mars
In summary: Let's not forget, this is just a proposal and not a concrete plan. There are still many factors to consider, such as the technology and resources needed, as well as the impact on the individuals involved. In summary, the article discusses the idea of sending people on a one-way trip to colonize Mars, which could potentially cut costs and ensure a long-term commitment. However, there are concerns about the psychological and practical challenges of such a mission, as well as the risk involved. Ultimately, whether or not people would actually go on a one-way trip to Mars remains to be seen.

Would you take a one-way trip to Mars?

• Yes

Votes: 28 29.8%
  • No

Votes: 49 52.1%
  • Maybe

Votes: 17 18.1%

• Total voters
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Brainstorm said, "Oh, I see. It was about the idea that the world looks to the US for leadership in innovation or some nationalistic BS like that. It's funny to me that you say you're not big on nationalism but in the next sentence you say "whichever nation is responsible," as if nations are the responsible entities for individual achievements. Either way, it would be a diversion from the thread topic to continue discussing this issue here so if you really want to get into a discussion about nationalism, you should start a new thread, imo."I didn't suggest that the rest of the world looks to the US, nor do I wish to start a nationalist thread. I only meant that I personally have a lot of respect for the people that put men on the moon. I don't know where you are getting the rest from. ta ta..

Tanelorn said:
I didn't suggest that the rest of the world looks to the US, nor do I wish to start a nationalist thread. I only meant that I personally have a lot of respect for the people that put men on the moon. I don't know where you are getting the rest from. ta ta..

Someone said that early on in the thread, as I recall, and that was the only reason I mentioned nationalism. Space exploration has be appropriated as a vehicle for promoting nationalist competition, from the so-called "space race," (although this was more of a competition between capitalist and communist economic paradigms) to recent renewed interest in the moon by multiple national governments. I think google was also named as a player, but as I recall that was the only non-governmental corporation. Ideally, space exploration would be pursued by global corporations with no dominant ethno/national identity, but the nationalists of the human race tend to re-code everything into some variant of national identity, whether it be "international," "multinational," "transnational," or just labeling everything that's not ethnically homogeneous "American." Maybe the final frontier in space exploration will be the deconstruction of nationalism in space and ultimately the universe generally. Of course, then people will probably start claiming that each nation has its own universe in "the multiverse" . . .

I think I can speak for my wife and I and say we'll definitely go, when we're about 85 or so... :)

-DaveKA

Two fully equipped

Two physicians.
Two engineers able to fix equipment malfunctions.
Two geologists.

Food and oxygen and other supplies sent beforehand for two year survival and emergency situations.

To be honest, apart from satisfying curiosity, I really fail to see the urgency needed to go so far just to get to a hostile place like that. If the sun were threatening to expand soon, then OK. That definitely would be a motivator. The asteroid belt is far more enticing with it's mineral wealth. Without material motivators mankind tends to languish.

Last edited:
Radrook said:
The asteroid belt is far more enticing with it's mineral wealth. Nearer as well.

The asteroid belt is nearer to us than Mars? Are you sure?

Radrook said:
To be honest, apart from satisfying curiosity, I really fail to see the urgency needed to go so far just to get to a hostile place like that. If the sun were threatening to expand soon, then OK. That definitely would be a motivator. The asteroid belt is far more enticing with it's mineral wealth. Without material motivators mankind tends to languish.
Post-Marxian labor-alienated mankind, maybe. The point of Mars-settlement would be to execute the possibility from starting with as little imported resources as possible and cultivating a sustainable colony. It would be quite impressive if people could come up with a plan that uses minimum launch-payload from Earth to establish (semi)permanent viability on Mars. This could involve a basic plan for harnessing energy, establishing a foundry, fabricating and assembling an airtight structure, being able to grow enough biomass to provide sustenance to a crew, and ensuring that air and water resources remained sufficiently abundant and clean. Of course the colonists would need a bail-out plan to escape to Earth when/if problems would occur. It might take numerous tries to achieve a reliable system but once established, the system could be used as a platform for further attempts on other planets/moons. Energy is the big issue, imo, because sunlight fades as you get further away and Venus seems to be too hot to colonize.

*I* for sure would never go. That said, I have some suggestions of people I would definitely suggest to be put on the trip :biggrin:

1. Radiation danger during trip and on arrival
2. Thin atmosphere
3. Sandstorms
4. Low temperatures
5. No surface liquid water
6. Extremely long trip in crowded quarters.
7. Increased meteor strike risk.

Not an enticing experience!

MEN WANTED: FOR HAZARDOUS JOURNEY. SMALL WAGES, BITTER COLD, LONG MONTHS OF COMPLETE DARKNESS, CONSTANT DANGER, SAFE RETURN DOUBTFUL. HONOUR AND RECOGNITION IN CASE OF SUCCESS."

- SIR ERNEST SHACKLETON

Shackleton got his men.

Phrak said:
MEN WANTED: FOR HAZARDOUS JOURNEY. SMALL WAGES, BITTER COLD, LONG MONTHS OF COMPLETE DARKNESS, CONSTANT DANGER, SAFE RETURN DOUBTFUL. HONOUR AND RECOGNITION IN CASE OF SUCCESS."

- SIR ERNEST SHACKLETON

Shackleton got his men.

Yep ... if Mars travel weren't so expensive that only big governments could afford it, we'd have a colony there already. One of the fifty billionaires would part with a quarter of his wealth to jump-start the project ... Finding volunteers is not a problem. Finding the willpower to make it happen is hard.

turbo-1 said:
You'll get high doses of radiation, unless the Sun stays incredibly quiet during the whole trip. Once outside of the Earth's magnetic field, Solar tantrums get really serious.

Have you heard of MARIE? The highest levels they saw in 6 months of operation were on the order of 2 rad/day, briefly for a day or two when the detector was hit by a solar proton event. And steady background levels were 20-30 mrad/day. You don't start seeing effects of radiation poisoning until 50 rad or so of whole-body exposure over a short period of time.

jarednjames said:
The asteroid belt is nearer to us than Mars? Are you sure?

I caught the mistake almost right away and corrected it. Thanx for keeping me on my toes.
How far in the future do you see any attempt at exploiting the asteroid belt of its riches?

brainstorm said:
Someone said that early on in the thread, as I recall, and that was the only reason I mentioned nationalism. Space exploration has be appropriated as a vehicle for promoting nationalist competition, from the so-called "space race," (although this was more of a competition between capitalist and communist economic paradigms) to recent renewed interest in the moon by multiple national governments. I think google was also named as a player, but as I recall that was the only non-governmental corporation. Ideally, space exploration would be pursued by global corporations with no dominant ethno/national identity, but the nationalists of the human race tend to re-code everything into some variant of national identity, whether it be "international," "multinational," "transnational," or just labeling everything that's not ethnically homogeneous "American." Maybe the final frontier in space exploration will be the deconstruction of nationalism in space and ultimately the universe generally. Of course, then people will probably start claiming that each nation has its own universe in "the multiverse" . . .

Just recently on the discovery channel they were hypothesizing about how to take out moon colonies without using explosives. Kinetic energy was the suggested method. Huge rods plummeting down at enormous speed would do the trick they said. Of course this had been suggested before as a means of hitting targets on earth. But hey! who says that space is sacred when it comes to good ole moronic nationalistic bickering?

Radrook said:
Just recently on the discovery channel they were hypothesizing about how to take out moon colonies without using explosives. Kinetic energy was the suggested method. Huge rods plummeting down at enormous speed would do the trick they said. Of course this had been suggested before as a means of hitting targets on earth. But hey! who says that space is sacred when it comes to good ole moronic nationalistic bickering?

Maybe UN weapons inspectors will be among the regular visitors to space colonies.

For me I think it might actually depend on the time period that this ticket is offered, :) if there's already a colony there, then sure :) but if there isn't, i wouldn't want to go

I wouldn't go, I would want to go back home at some time. But I would go if it were a round trip :0

Would you take a one-way trip to Mars?
I would :wink: but who will fund such flight? I wonder, would be there at least one wealthy person who will spend money for such journey? Also, what do you think homework much it would cost to build one-seat spacecraft for Martian spaceflight? When doing this we could use old technologies from "Mercury-Gemini-Apolo" and/or "Soyuz" flights, no new technologies would be needed :wink: We should just think about protection from radiation

Radrook, what is the point of existence?
Sit down in a field humming Om to oneself?
Or watching another bunch of executives rip the rest of us off?
Or letting some deranged politicians start another pointless war over sand?
I would rather not even have been born than to waste our existence on all that.

What better goal to unite the world in a challenge to establish a foothold on another.

Eagle9 said:
I would :wink: but who will fund such flight? I wonder, would be there at least one wealthy person who will spend money for such journey? Also, what do you think homework much it would cost to build one-seat spacecraft for Martian spaceflight? When doing this we could use old technologies from "Mercury-Gemini-Apolo" and/or "Soyuz" flights, no new technologies would be needed :wink: We should just think about protection from radiation
Why does it have to require wealth persons to spend money? Couldn't governments simply declare access to the needed materials and resources if they thought they could get away with it?

brainstorm said:
Why does it have to require wealth persons to spend money? Couldn't governments simply declare access to the needed materials and resources if they thought they could get away with it?

The government of course can declare access to needed materials and technologies but for assembling the spacecraft and for launching it in space the money would be needed and I do not think that any government (American or other) would allocate money for this purpose :wink:

Phrak said:

- SIR ERNEST SHACKLETON

Shackleton got his men.

:uhh:Does this mean there will be single women on board (some may reason).

WhoWee said:
:uhh:Does this mean there will be single women on board (some may reason).

With my luck there'd be only the one, and she'd be a lesbian. :cry:

I was lucky enough to talk to an astronaut at Cape Canaveral yesterday. She said that she had no idea what comes after Shuttle. Also that a one way trip to Mars would be suicide at the moment, the technology needs to be developed. I said I would love to make a one way trip to Mars at this time in my life, providing I would get to live several years on Mars..

The only way I'd take a one-way trip to Mars is if it were colonized (e.g. Total Recall). I wouldn't go there now though, there's nothing to do and I'd run out of life support!

gb7nash said:
The only way I'd take a one-way trip to Mars is if it were colonized (e.g. Total Recall). I wouldn't go there now though, there's nothing to do and I'd run out of life support!

The one-way schemes involve maintaining supplies over the lifetime of the astronauts. The thinking is that it would be much more difficult to return the astronauts than to just supply them for life.

Borg said:
The one-way schemes involve maintaining supplies over the lifetime of the astronauts. The thinking is that it would be much more difficult to return the astronauts than to just supply them for life.

No, the thinking is that it would be easier for the astronauts to produce whatever they need, rather than come home to get it.

NeoDevin said:
No, the thinking is that it would be easier for the astronauts to produce whatever they need, rather than come home to get it.
You're probably right. It does make more sense that they would have to be 100% self-sufficient. Trying to maintain regular supply to Mars would make the Berlin airlift look like a bucket brigade. Even 'emergency' supplies would still take months to years to arrive depending on the planetary alignments.

I thought that I remembered reading an article about astronauts being supplied but I couldn't find anything that stated it either way. I spent an hour trying to find any description of supply but, found nothing - even the link on my original post isn't working. I'm probably remembering something about habitat module deliveries as the colony grows.

In any case, it still wouldn't be designed to be the suicide mission that gb7nash fears.

I'm bringing this back because 78k people did sign up for the one way trip!

Two weeks into a nineteen week application period, more than 78,000 people have applied to become a settler of Mars in 2023.

Mars One, the nonprofit with the goal of establishing a human settlement on the planet, announced the milestone.

"This is turning out to be the most desired job in history," said Bas Lansdorp, co-founder and CEO of Mars One, in the announcement. "These numbers put us right on track for our goal of half a million applicants.”

http://www.theepochtimes.com/n3/47917-more-than-78000-people-sign-up-for-one-way-trip-to-mars/

Yes I would.It would be my shot at not only becoming a legend but also realizing one of my childhood dreams to go into space.Of course the death part is unfortunate , but death is not avoidable anyway.Might as well go out with a bang.

Though there's no way of knowing how I would react facing the decision in a more serious context.Maybe I would lose my balls and re-consider my desire to become a legend or going into space versus living for a couple of decades longer.

There's no way I wouldn't go.

Going to respond first, before I read the entire thread. In my lifetime? Hell no... Details to follow...

Edit: Alright, after reading everything I don't want to sound pessimistic. I really do want humanity to explore and colonize other planets, but we need to be a little more ready for it. We need to put a few modules on the moon first, see how that goes. Too and from trips to Mars are harsh, considering the first batch of people that arrive on Mars are going to go through atrophy/acclimating themselves in harsh conditions, radiation, a bunch of problems we haven't solved yet that will cost a pretty penny.

I'm all for seeing it happen though, I'll be on the first luxury cruise there when it happens, providing I find a way to extend my lifetime a century or so. ^_^ (who knows?)

Edit 2: I just realized this was a resurrected thread :/

Last edited:
Greg Bernhardt said:
I'm bringing this back because 78k people did sign up for the one way trip!
You necromanced the wrong thread. This thread is (was) about a science daily article, which in turn was based on an supposedly scientific article in a supposedly scientific journal. The Science Daily article is no longer available (dead link in the original post) and that supposedly scientific journal isn't listed in Thomson Reuters (posting a link would be against our rules). There was no time line, no plan, no budget, but there also isn't a reality TV show.

You should have resurrected [thread=612739]this other thread about Mars One[/thread] instead. The referenced thread is about the specific mission, Mars One, for which these 78K people have signed up. Here there's a time line (but it's fiction), a pseudo plan (also fiction), and a budget (also fiction). In addition, they even have an outline for a reality TV show that's the real reason for this endeavor.

I am very skeptical on the ability of Mars One to actually accomplish this with our current technology, but shouldn't we aim for this goal anyways? Is that not HOW we will be able to get such technology, by pushing ourselves in that direction?

This reminds me of a quote (and I paraphrase) that said our current generation was born too late to explore the world and born too early to explore the galaxy. This quote pains me greatly. I would love to explore space; I just sincerely wish the technology will be there when I get older (but not TOO old).

Blandified said:
I am very skeptical on the ability of Mars One to actually accomplish this with our current technology, but shouldn't we aim for this goal anyways?
Which goal is that? Maybe getting people on Mars but with nary a chance of coming home, getting people to Mars with the chance of coming back home, or getting more people in space in general, with an eye to eventually making the vast expenditures useful/productive? These are three very different goals and hence have very different development trajectories.

I have my own thoughts on the matter, and Mars is rather low on my bucket list of what I would like to see humans doing in space before I retire from the human space exploration business.

<h2>1. What are the main reasons people would consider taking a one-way trip to Mars?</h2><p>The main reasons people would consider taking a one-way trip to Mars include a sense of adventure and exploration, the opportunity to be a part of history and human progress, and the desire to push the limits of human capabilities and technology.</p><h2>2. What are the potential risks and challenges of a one-way trip to Mars?</h2><p>The potential risks and challenges of a one-way trip to Mars include exposure to high levels of radiation, the psychological impact of being isolated and confined for a long period of time, and the uncertainty of being able to sustain a livable environment on the planet.</p><h2>3. How would a one-way trip to Mars impact the human body?</h2><p>A one-way trip to Mars would have significant impacts on the human body, including exposure to high levels of radiation, the effects of microgravity on bone and muscle density, and the psychological effects of isolation and confinement. It would also require astronauts to undergo extensive physical and mental training to prepare for the journey.</p><h2>4. What are the potential benefits of a one-way trip to Mars?</h2><p>The potential benefits of a one-way trip to Mars include advancing our understanding of the universe and potentially finding evidence of past or present life on the planet. It could also lead to the development of new technologies and techniques that could be used for future space exploration and benefit humanity as a whole.</p><h2>5. What are the ethical considerations surrounding a one-way trip to Mars?</h2><p>There are many ethical considerations surrounding a one-way trip to Mars, including the potential for exploitation of individuals who may be willing to take the risk, the responsibility of the sending organization to ensure the safety and well-being of the astronauts, and the impact on future generations if the mission is unsuccessful and results in loss of life.</p>

1. What are the main reasons people would consider taking a one-way trip to Mars?

The main reasons people would consider taking a one-way trip to Mars include a sense of adventure and exploration, the opportunity to be a part of history and human progress, and the desire to push the limits of human capabilities and technology.

2. What are the potential risks and challenges of a one-way trip to Mars?

The potential risks and challenges of a one-way trip to Mars include exposure to high levels of radiation, the psychological impact of being isolated and confined for a long period of time, and the uncertainty of being able to sustain a livable environment on the planet.

3. How would a one-way trip to Mars impact the human body?

A one-way trip to Mars would have significant impacts on the human body, including exposure to high levels of radiation, the effects of microgravity on bone and muscle density, and the psychological effects of isolation and confinement. It would also require astronauts to undergo extensive physical and mental training to prepare for the journey.

4. What are the potential benefits of a one-way trip to Mars?

The potential benefits of a one-way trip to Mars include advancing our understanding of the universe and potentially finding evidence of past or present life on the planet. It could also lead to the development of new technologies and techniques that could be used for future space exploration and benefit humanity as a whole.

5. What are the ethical considerations surrounding a one-way trip to Mars?

There are many ethical considerations surrounding a one-way trip to Mars, including the potential for exploitation of individuals who may be willing to take the risk, the responsibility of the sending organization to ensure the safety and well-being of the astronauts, and the impact on future generations if the mission is unsuccessful and results in loss of life.