Share this thread:
ZeroPivot
Sep9-13, 04:55 PM
P: 54
explain it like im 12 years old.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Physical constant is constant even in strong gravitational fields
Montreal VR headset team turns to crowdfunding for Totem
Researchers study vital 'on/off switches' that control when bacteria turn deadly
jtbell
Sep9-13, 05:00 PM
Mentor
P: 11,879
So you don't know any calculus?
Turion
Sep9-13, 05:02 PM
P: 148
Good luck with that.

Vanadium 50
Sep9-13, 06:21 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 16,472
Why does E=mc^2

http://www.physicsforums.com/blog.php?bt=6374
ZeroPivot
Sep10-13, 09:15 AM
P: 54
Quote Quote by jtbell View Post
So you don't know any calculus?
i do know upto multivariable.
Nugatory
Sep10-13, 10:01 AM
Mentor
P: 3,975
Quote Quote by ZeroPivot View Post
OK, then you are prepared for something much better than a 12-year-old level explanation. There are a ton of good derivations online - find one, study it, come back with a more specific question.

One hint: You're really looking for the derivation of the equation ##E^2=(m_0{c}^2)^2+(pc)^2##, as ##E=mc^2## is just the ##p=0## special case of that more general relationship.
jtbell
Sep10-13, 10:34 AM
Mentor
P: 11,879
Quote Quote by ZeroPivot View Post
OK, try this. It's a draft of an FAQ that I've been working on.

In both non-relativistic and relativistic physics, we can define an object's (kinetic) energy in terms of the work done on the object by a force, using the work-energy theorem. In the non-relativistic case, this leads to the familiar ##E = \frac{1}{2}mv^2##; in the relativistic case, this leads to the familiar ##E = mc^2## (using an old-fashioned interpretation of ##m##).

Warning: This derivation uses calculus. It also assumes that we already know the non-relativistic and relativistic formulas for an object's momentum.

Beginning physics students learn early on that when a constant force ##F## acts on an object, causing the object to move a distance ##\Delta x##, it does work ##W = F \Delta x##. If the force is not constant, we have to consider it as a function of position, and integrate to find the work:
$$W = \int^{x_2}_{x_1} {Fdx}$$
Inserting Newton's Second Law of Motion in the form ##F = dp/dt## (where ##p## is momentum) and playing some games with the differentials:
$$W = \int^{x_2}_{x_1} {\frac{dp}{dt} dx}
= \int^{x_2}_{x_1} {\frac{dp}{dv} \frac{dv}{dt} dx}
= \int^{v_2}_{v_1} {\frac{dp}{dv} \frac{dx}{dt} dv}
= \int^{v_2}_{v_1} {\frac{dp}{dv} v dv}$$
So far, this applies in both non-relativistic and relativistic mechanics. To proceed further, we need an equation for ##p## in terms of ##v##. Here the relativistic and non-relativistic cases diverge.

Non-relativistically, ##p = mv##, so ##\frac{dp}{dv} = m## and
$$W = \int^{v_2}_{v_1} {m v dv}
= \frac{1}{2} mv^2_2 - \frac{1}{2} mv^2_1$$
We define the energy of the object as
$$E = \frac{1}{2} mv^2$$
so that ##W = E_2 - E_1## (the work-energy theorem). When ##v = 0##, ##E = 0##, so the energy that we've defined here is due only to the object's motion, and we therefore call it kinetic energy.
$$E = K = \frac{1}{2} mv^2$$

Relativistically,
$$p = \frac{mv}{\sqrt{1-v^2/c^2}}$$
where ##m## is what is often called the "rest mass." I leave it as a calculus exercise for the reader to evaluate the derivative:
$$\frac{dp}{dv} = \frac{m}{(1-v^2/c^2)^{3/2}}$$
so that
$$W = \int^{v_2}_{v_1} {\frac {mvdv}{(1-v^2/c^2)^{3/2}}}$$
I leave it as another calculus exercise for the reader to evaluate the integral above to get:
$$W = \frac{mc^2}{\sqrt{1-v_2^2/c^2}} - \frac{mc^2}{\sqrt{1-v_1^2/c^2}}$$
We define the energy of the object as
$$E = \frac{mc^2}{\sqrt{1-v^2/c^2}}$$
so that ##W = E_2 - E_1## (the work-energy theorem), just like in the non-relativistic case. When ##v = 0##, ##E = mc^2##, so the energy that we've defined here is not due only to the object's motion. We can separate it into two pieces: the rest energy
$$E_0 = mc^2$$
which doesn't depend on the motion, and the kinetic energy which does:
$$K = \frac{mc^2}{\sqrt{1-v^2/c^2}} - mc^2$$
so that
$$E = E_0 + K = \frac{mc^2}{\sqrt{1-v^2/c^2}}$$
In the early days of relativity, physicists called the ##m## that I used above, the "rest mass" ##m_0##; and defined the "relativistic mass" as
$$m = \frac{m_0}{\sqrt{1-v^2/c^2}}$$
so that ##E = mc^2## and ##E_0 = m_0 c^2##. Nowadays, most physicists don't do this, but popular-level books and even some introductory textbooks still do.

Register to reply