Register to reply

Non-local interaction in HQET

by Einj
Tags: hqet, interaction, nonlocal
Share this thread:
Einj
May25-14, 06:50 PM
P: 328
Hi everyone. I have been studying the Heavy Quark Effective Theory and at a certain point we have a Lagrangian like:
$$
\mathcal{L}=\bar h_v iD\cdot v h_v+\bar h_vi\gamma_\mu D^\mu_\perp\frac{1}{iD\cdot v+2m_Q}i\gamma_\nu D_\perp^\nu h_v.
$$
[itex]h_v[/itex] is the field representing the heavy quark, [itex] v[/itex] is the velocity of the heavy quark and [itex]D_\mu[/itex] is the usual covariant derivative.

I read that this Lagrangian is non-local but I can't understand why. Do you have any idea?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physical constant is constant even in strong gravitational fields
Physicists provide new insights into the world of quantum materials
Nuclear spins control current in plastic LED: Step toward quantum computing, spintronic memory, better displays
Hepth
May26-14, 04:57 AM
PF Gold
P: 472
Is it because you're choosing what the momentum "v" is? Therefor things are no longer technically lorentz invariant, as the theory only holds in the limit that v is "stationary". Basically you're choosing a specific POV to choose the problem.
Bill_K
May26-14, 05:25 AM
Sci Advisor
Thanks
P: 4,160
Quote Quote by Einj View Post
$$
\mathcal{L}=\bar h_v iD\cdot v h_v+\bar h_vi\gamma_\mu D^\mu_\perp\frac{1}{iD\cdot v+2m_Q}i\gamma_\nu D_\perp^\nu h_v.
$$

I read that this Lagrangian is non-local but I can't understand why. Do you have any idea?
It's because of the operator [itex]\frac{1}{iD\cdot v+2m_Q}[/itex], which implies an integration over all x. Or you can expand it in a power series and get derivatives of all orders.

Einj
May26-14, 09:15 AM
P: 328
Non-local interaction in HQET

Great, thanks!

Register to reply