What is the significance of normalized data in NMOSFET parameter extraction?

In summary, the speaker is seeking guidance for a lab assignment. They have measurements with L=1μm and w=10μm, but the id data is normalized to w=1μm. They are unsure of what this means and if they need to "un-normalize" Ids for extraction. They also have a question about low-field mobility and are confused about the default value in the BSIM guide versus the extracted value. They are unsure if this is the appropriate forum for their questions.
Aseth
Hey! I'm doing a lab assignment and need some guidance.

i have measurement with L=1μmeter and w=10μmeter, but the id data is normalized to w=1μmeter, what does it mean?

do I need to get Ids "un-normalized" for extraction, like Ids*1e-6= new Ids

the second question is about low-field mobility, does the low-field mobility μ0 equal for all NMOSFETs? the BSIM guide Iam using have default value is 670 cm^2/Vsec for NMOSFET. but the extracted value is like 200cm^2/Vsec, I'm confused.

I don't know if this is the right sub-forum for posting those questions, please moderators change it to appropriate sub-forum if needed.

Thanks in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not finding help at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us?

The general MOSFET equation is Id = mu Cox W/L ((Vgs-Vth) Vds - Vds^2/2). This is the W/L they are referring to.

1. What is NMOSFET parameter extraction?

NMOSFET parameter extraction refers to the process of determining the characteristics of a NMOSFET (N-channel Metal-Oxide-Semiconductor Field-Effect Transistor) through various methods and techniques. These parameters include the threshold voltage, mobility, and capacitances, among others.

2. Why is NMOSFET parameter extraction important?

NMOSFET parameter extraction is important because it allows for the accurate prediction and modeling of the behavior of NMOSFETs. This is crucial in the design and optimization of integrated circuits, as well as in the development of new technologies and devices.

3. What methods are used for NMOSFET parameter extraction?

There are several methods used for NMOSFET parameter extraction, including DC characterization, AC small-signal analysis, and transient analysis. These methods involve applying different electrical signals to the NMOSFET and measuring its response to extract the desired parameters.

4. What are the challenges in NMOSFET parameter extraction?

One of the main challenges in NMOSFET parameter extraction is the complexity of the device itself. NMOSFETs have multiple layers and interfaces, making it difficult to accurately determine the specific parameters. Additionally, environmental factors such as temperature and voltage fluctuations can also affect the extracted parameters.

5. How can NMOSFET parameter extraction be improved?

To improve NMOSFET parameter extraction, researchers are constantly developing new techniques, algorithms, and models. Additionally, advancements in measurement and characterization equipment also contribute to more accurate and efficient parameter extraction. Collaboration and sharing of data and techniques among researchers also helps improve the overall process.