Computer Modeling Project Topic (Help, please)

In summary, the conversation discussed the need to write a report and code for a numerical method used in a specific area of physics modeling. The suggested topics included Rigid Body Dynamics, Chris Hecker's Work, the Million-Body problem, and various physics problems such as the Ising Model and non-linear pendulum. It was also recommended to choose a topic with a known closed form solution for easy verification. Another suggestion was to explore the concept of Emergence in physics, with examples such as termite building structures and stars forming from random elements. The conversation also mentioned various methods that have been covered in class, such as Euler Method, Runge Kutta Method, FFT analysis, and Crank Nicholson Method. There was a suggestion to choose a
Jelfish
So I have this project where I need to write a report and code of some numerical method used in some specific area of physics modeling. The report deals mostly with the numerical method but requires that some specific physics application tied into it. An example would be the Crank-Nicholson method for solving the Schrodinger equation. I'm not really sure what topic I should choose and was wondering if any of you had a personal favorite. A side note - we've covered a few finite time stepping methods for partial diffs, so something other than that would be preferred. Also I'd like to know how difficult you feel it would take to implement the code.
Thanks! :!)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
[]RigidBody Dynamics or Chris Hecker's Work.
[]Million-Body problem.
[]Some type of stellar physics model/planetary-geophysics modelling
like cloud dispersion or mountain formation.
[]Ising Model (thermo)

There are many simple Physics problems which should fill your needs.
1. Non linear pendulum
2. Multi spring/mass problem
3. RCL circuits.

You might consider choosing something with a known closed form solution so you can easily verify your numerical solution.

Last edited:
May I suggest a project dealing with Emergence. Familiar with subject? Termites don't know what they're building yet they build marvelous clay cathederals. The santum "emerges" from the mud by way of non-linear effects between termite, pheremone, and mud. How can order arise from randomness? Try these two:

[tex]\frac{\partial a}{\partial t}=\frac{ca^2}{h}-\mu a+d_a \frac{\partial^2 a}{\partial x^2}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\partial h}{\partial t}=ca^2-\nu h+d_h \frac{\partial^2 h}{\partial x^2}[/tex]

Oh yea . . . stars don't either.:smile:

Thanks - I'll check some of those out!

For reference, here's what I've done in class:

Euler Method: Pendulum

Runge Kutta Method: Pendulum, driven pendulum, a lot of other stuff with single deratives

FFT analysis: analyzing a wave, transforming the wave equation

Finite time centered space: numerically solving second order partial differential equations

Crank Nicholson Method: another method for solving second order partials (specifically the wave equation).

So you see, the main focus is the method and then a topic in physics from which it benefits.

Thanks for the replies so far. I'll do some research on the suggested topics. Any more would be welcome though!

Pick something simple that results in a HUGE system of structured linear equations. Then use clever system solving techniques (like sparse LU or GCR) to solve the system quickly.

That's a good idea, actually. Thanks!

1. What is a computer modeling project?

A computer modeling project is a scientific process where data is input into a computer program, which then uses mathematical algorithms to simulate and predict outcomes of a given situation or system.

2. How is a computer modeling project useful?

A computer modeling project can be useful in a variety of scientific fields, including physics, chemistry, biology, and engineering. It allows researchers to test hypotheses and make predictions without conducting costly or time-consuming experiments.

3. What are the steps involved in a computer modeling project?

The steps involved in a computer modeling project typically include defining the problem, creating a mathematical model, inputting data, running simulations, analyzing results, and refining the model if necessary.

4. What are some common challenges in a computer modeling project?

Some common challenges in a computer modeling project include obtaining accurate and reliable data, selecting appropriate mathematical models, and ensuring the validity and accuracy of the simulations.

5. How can I get help with my computer modeling project topic?

You can seek help from other researchers in your field, consult with experts in computer modeling, or seek guidance from your supervisor or mentor. Additionally, there are many online resources and forums dedicated to computer modeling that you can utilize for assistance.