Why is it called a torsion group?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of torsion in topology and its relation to homology groups of cell complexes. It is mentioned that algebra has become highly abstract and isolated from other branches of mathematics, making it difficult to teach and make jokes about. The term torsion arose in topology to describe the invariants of homology groups, particularly in the early 20th century. Examples are given of how torsion arises in the formation of a sphere and a projective plane. It is also noted that mapping the boundary of a disc by a map z goes to z^n produces a summand of Z/n in the 1st homology. This is considered the historical meaning of torsion in homology groups.
DeadWolfe
I've always wondered, and I can't seem to find out...

Physics news on Phys.org
well i presume you can't find out because you are assuming it is an algebra term, and nowadays algebra is absurdly isolated from its roots, often in topology or geometry.

ironically i was just reading miles reid's essay in undergraduate commutative algebra, on how algebra for some reason has become highly abstract and separated from the rest of mathematics, making it more difficult to teach, and for some reason also harder to make jokes in the subject.

I am having trouble finding a good reference for you online, but you might look at the notes "homology" by jesper moller on his homepage, (not the statistician) headed "from singular homology to alexander duality" or some such.

look in the section on cellular homology of cell complexes, page 30 of the current version on his webpage today, for the formulas for homology of certain spaces formed by attaching cells.

now i admit this is just a guess, but it is an informed one. It seems the term torsion arose in topology, to describe the invariants of homology groups of cell complexes, especially surfaces, in the early part of the past century.

i.e. the way to analyze the topology of a surface is to realize that a surface is formed by attaching cells via maps of their boundaries, to a simpler space one already has.

E.g. to form a sphere, one attaches a 2 disk to a point by a constant map that collapses the boundary of the 2 disc to that point.

here there is no torsion, which everyone knows means twisting.

to form a projective plane on the other hand one starts from a circle and attaches a 2 disc by a map that wraps the boundary of the disc twice around the circle.

this torsion or twisting of the boundary produces the term Z/2 in the 1st homology group, i.e. H1 of the new space is H1 of the circle modulo the image of the map on H1 of the boundary of the disc, induced by the attaching map. this is the formula on page 30 of mollers notes.

i.e. attaching a cell kills homology in one dimension down, but only kills those cycles in the image of the attaching map.

more generally mapping the boundary circle in by the map z goes to
z^n, produces a summand of Z/n in the 1st homology.

this is the obvious meaning of torsion in homology groups, presumably the historical one.

they used to be called torsion coefficients, before homology of spaces was formalized as a group.:smile:

Last edited:

The term "torsion group" is used to describe a group in which every element has finite order. This means that when an element is repeatedly combined with itself, it eventually becomes the identity element. This is in contrast to a group where elements can have infinite order, meaning they can be combined with themselves an infinite number of times without reaching the identity element.

The term "torsion" comes from the Latin word "torsio" which means "twisting." In mathematics, torsion is often used to describe the twisting or turning of an object. In the context of group theory, the term "torsion" is used because the elements of a torsion group "twist" or "turn" back to the identity element after a finite number of operations.

Another way to think about it is that the elements of a torsion group have a finite "twist" or "torsion" associated with them, while in a non-torsion group, the elements have an infinite "twist" or "torsion." This is why it is called a torsion group.

Overall, the term "torsion group" is simply a descriptive term used to classify a specific type of mathematical group. It highlights the key characteristic of finite order for all elements within the group.

1. What is a torsion group?

A torsion group is a mathematical concept that refers to a group where every element has finite order. This means that when an element is combined with itself a certain number of times, it will eventually result in the identity element (an element that does not change the value of other elements when combined with them).

2. How is a torsion group different from other groups?

Torsion groups are different from other groups because they have a finite number of elements and their elements have finite order. In contrast, other groups may have infinite elements or elements with infinite order.

3. Why is it called a torsion group?

The name "torsion group" comes from the word "torsion," which means the twisting force of an object. In this context, the elements of a torsion group can be seen as being twisted or rotated a finite number of times to reach the identity element.

4. What are some examples of torsion groups?

Some examples of torsion groups include finite cyclic groups, where the elements are generated by a single element with finite order, and finite abelian groups, where the elements can be rearranged in a way that they all have finite order.

5. What is the significance of studying torsion groups?

Torsion groups have important applications in various fields such as number theory, algebraic geometry, and topology. They also provide a fundamental understanding of finite structures and symmetry, which has implications in physics and other sciences.