Testing Continuity with a Voltmeter

In summary: He has looked into how to do this and found that a "continuity test" can be done using transistor/diode tests. - If the voltmeter lacks a beeper, he can set it to low-range resistance mode and see if the displayed resistance is close to zero.
hypnagogue
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Please excuse my ignorance, but I could use some assistance. I need to get a device that will test if current can pass from an electrode through a connected wire on down to a pin that connects to a computer port. (Sometimes the electrical connection fails because of a poor connection between the wire and the electrode.) I have seen this test done before using a voltmeter (it was actually set to beep when it detected a bad connection), but I'm not familiar with how voltmeters are typically constructed-- i.e. whether the feature used to detect bad connections was a standard voltmeter feature or not. (I have looked into it a bit and I believe the test I am speaking of is called a "continuity test," with the above mentioned beeping feature being a "continuity beeper," but I'm not 100% certain.)

I'm currently looking at a cheap voltmeter that I think may be able to do the trick for me, but I'd just like some input from more knowledgeable folk on whether this device will do what I need it to do. The technical details provided on the website are as follows :

Product Features

* DC current: 200micro/2m/20m/200m/10A AC voltage: 200/750V DC voltage: 200m/2/20/200/1000V Resistance (ohms): 200/2K/20K/200K/2M
* Transistor & diode test
* 3 1/2 digit LCD with a maximum reading of 1999
* Low battery indicator

Can a "continuity test" (if that is the right term) be done using transistor/diode tests? If not, is it safe to assume that the "continuity test" feature is so standard for voltmeters that I should take it as a given that this voltmeter will be able to do it?

Computer science news on Phys.org
A "continuity test" is really nothing more than a resistance test with a beep. The beep sounds when the measured resistance is very close to zero. Since the beep is annoying in some situations (while incredibly useful in others), most multi-meters have a special setting to enable it.

It's a pretty safe bet that every digital mutli-meter sold today has a continuity function. If it includes sophisticated features for diodes and transistors, I'd be amazed if it didn't also have a continuity beep feature.

If it lacks a beeper, however, you can always just set it to low-range resistance mode, and look at the display. If it's close to zero, you can even say the word beep! :biggrin:

- Warren

First of all, there is no need to apologize for asking for assistance or for any lack of knowledge. We all have to start somewhere and it's always better to ask for help than to make assumptions and potentially cause damage or injury.

To answer your question, yes, a continuity test can be done using transistor/diode tests. The transistor/diode test function on a voltmeter is designed to check the continuity of a circuit by sending a small current through it. If there is a break or poor connection in the circuit, the voltmeter will not detect the current and will give a reading of "open circuit." This is essentially the same function as a continuity test.

However, it is always best to double check and make sure that the voltmeter you are considering purchasing explicitly states that it has a continuity test function. Some voltmeters may have the transistor/diode test function but not the continuity test function. It is always better to be sure before making a purchase.

In terms of the specific voltmeter you are looking at, it seems to have all the necessary features for a continuity test. It has a low battery indicator which is important for ensuring accurate readings, and it has a 3 1/2 digit LCD display which is standard for most voltmeters. Just make sure that it explicitly states that it has a continuity test function and you should be good to go.

I hope this helps and good luck with your testing!

What is a voltmeter and how does it work?

A voltmeter is an electrical instrument used to measure the amount of voltage in a circuit. It works by connecting two probes to the circuit and measuring the potential difference between the two points.

Why is it important to test continuity with a voltmeter?

Testing continuity with a voltmeter is important because it allows you to check for any breaks or gaps in a circuit, ensuring that it is functioning properly. It also helps to identify any potential safety hazards.

How do you use a voltmeter to test continuity?

To test continuity with a voltmeter, you need to set the meter to the continuity or resistance mode. Then, place the probes on opposite ends of the circuit and check the reading. If the circuit is continuous, the voltmeter will show a low resistance or a beep, indicating that there are no breaks in the circuit.

What are some common issues that can affect continuity testing with a voltmeter?

Some common issues that can affect continuity testing with a voltmeter include dead batteries, faulty probes, and incorrect settings on the meter. It is important to check these factors before testing continuity to ensure accurate results.

What other tools can be used to test continuity besides a voltmeter?

Other tools that can be used to test continuity include multimeters, continuity testers, and ohmmeters. Each of these tools has its own unique features and may be more suitable for certain types of circuits or components.