Proving the Limit of (2x^2 + y^2)/(x^2 + y^2) as (x,y) --> (-1,2)

• Thread starter Haftred
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the conversation is about trying to prove the limit of the function (2x^2 + y^2) / (x^2 + y^2) as (x,y) approaches (-1,2) is 6/5 using the delta-epsilon proof. The person is trying to convert the function to polar coordinates and solve for epsilon, but is having trouble with the denominator. Another person suggests using the translation method and converting to polar coordinates, but the denominator still poses a problem. The conversation ends with the person still unable to prove the limit using this method.
Haftred
I am trying to prove the limit of the function (2x^2 + y^2) / (x^2 + y^2) as (x,y) ---> (-1 , 2) is 6/5.

So I have 0 < sq((x+1)^2 + (y-2)^2) < delta

and f(x) - 6/5 < Epsilon

I found a common denominator and made epsilon the quotient of two polynomials. Also, i recognized that you could factor the numerator to yield some function of delta. However, the denominator is becoming a problem. I get that the numerator is less than 4D^2 + 8D + D^2 + 4D, after using the triangle inequality, but i don't know what to do with the denominator. Am i close to the right method, or am i totally doing it wrong? Is proving this even possible?

Physics news on Phys.org
how about converting into polar coordinates?

The question is, what are you allowed to use? It is obvious that both numerator and denominator are continuous functions and the denominator does not go to 0. By the "limit theorems" it obviously goes to 6/6 since the numerator goes to 6 and the denominator goes to 5. Are you saying that you are required to do an epsilon-delta proof?

yes, it's obvious what the limit is, but I need to prove it using the delta-epsilon proof.

Then your delta will measure distance from (-1, 2). It might be best to use murshid islam's suggestion: convert to polar coordinates. But you will also need to translate (-1, 2) to the origin. That is, x= -1+ r cos([itex]\theta[/itex]), y= 2+ r sin([itex]\theta[/itex]). That way, [itex]\delta= r[/itex].

Ok converting to polar coordinates seems like a good idea; however, the denominator is still causing me problems.

I will show all the work I have done so far:

We want to show that the limit of the function:

[tex]\frac{2x^2 + y^2}{x^2+ y^2}[/tex] is 1.2 as one approaches the point (-1,2).

We want to use the [tex]\delta - \epsilon[/tex] proof:

[tex]x = -1 + r\cos\Theta[/tex]
[tex]y = 2 + r\sin\Theta[/tex]

[tex]r < \delta[/tex]

[tex] \epsilon < f(x) - 1.2 = \frac{4x^2 - y^2}{5x^2+5^2}[/tex]

I substituted the values of x and y in terms of [tex]r[/tex] and [tex]\Theta[/tex]

And I end up with:

ab((4r^2cos^(t) - r^2sin^2(t) - 8rcos(t) - 4rsin(t) / (5r^2 - 10rcos(t) + 20rsin(t) + 25)) < Epsilon

I sill cannot prove it if I substitute delta for 'r'; the denominator is stil causing problems.

Last edited:
sorry x = -1 + rcos(t) is what i used, not 1 + rcos(t)

1. What is the definition of a limit in calculus?

A limit in calculus is the value that a function approaches as its input approaches a certain value or point. It represents the behavior of the function near that point.

2. How do you prove the limit of a function?

In order to prove the limit of a function, you must show that for any given value of the independent variable (x or y), the function will approach a specific value as it gets closer to the point in question. This can be done using various methods such as the epsilon-delta definition or the squeeze theorem.

3. What is the difference between a one-sided limit and a two-sided limit?

A one-sided limit only considers the behavior of the function from one side of the point in question, either the left or the right. A two-sided limit takes into account the behavior of the function from both sides of the point.

4. How do you prove the limit of a multivariable function?

In order to prove the limit of a multivariable function, you must show that the function approaches the same value regardless of the path taken towards the point in question. This can be done using the definition of a limit or by using the concept of continuity.

5. What is the limit of (2x^2 + y^2)/(x^2 + y^2) as (x,y) approaches (-1,2)?

The limit of this function as (x,y) approaches (-1,2) is 2. This can be proven by substituting the values of x and y into the function and simplifying to show that the function approaches 2 as (x,y) gets closer to (-1,2).