Calculating Distance in Two Different Methods

• Thread starter stardrop
  • Start date
In summary: It's good to know both.Also the inverse of the stellar parallax (in seconds of arc - the required units for p in the formula) gives the distance to it in parsecs.I think you meant to reverse the order of p and d in your last equation.In summary, we can use the equation M = m + 5 - 5logd to calculate the distance of Sirius from us in lightyears using the given data. When the positions of the Sun and Sirius are switched, their absolute magnitudes will stay the same but their apparent magnitudes will change. To find the new apparent magnitudes, we must first calculate the parallax for each star and then convert to lightyears. The inverse of the stellar par
stardrop

Homework Statement

Show that we can calculate the distance of Sirius from us (in Ly) from the above data by two different methods.

If the positions of the Sun and Sirius are interchanged, what will be the m and M values of each?

Sun: m = -26.4; M = +4.6
Sirius: m = -1.4; M = +1.4

Homework Equations

M = m + 5 - 5logd
I = L/4pi d^2
I₁/I₂ = L₁/L₂
(d₂/d₁)^2

The Attempt at a Solution

M = m + 5logd
1.4 = -1.4 + 5 - 5logd
1.4 + 1.4 = 5 - 5logd
2.8 = 5 - 5logd
2.8 - 5 = -5logd
-2.2 = -5logd
-2.2/-5 = logd
.44 = logd

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer! :biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
The absolute magnitudes will stay the same. They are per definition the apparent magnitudes when the object is located at 10 parsecs. Use the formula to calculate the parallaxes for the sun and Sirius and then recalculate their apparent magnitudes when their positions are swopped.

Also the inverse of the stellar parallax (in seconds of arc - the required units for p in the formula) gives the distance to it in parsecs.

Last edited:
Remember your laws of logs. [tex] a\log(b) = \log(b^a)[/tex]. Also the equation you are using will give the distance in parsecs so you will have to convert to lightyears.

For the second, what do you know about magnitudes and brightness?

Edit: Beaten to it I knew I shouldn't have made that coffee :wink:

What is somewhat confusing is that one sometimes sees the equation

[tex]M = m + 5 + 5\ \log(p)[/tex]

and at another time

[tex]M = m + 5- 5\ \log(d)[/tex]

this is due to the fact that the stellar parallax of a star and the distance to it in parsecs are related by

[tex]p = \frac{1}{d}[/tex]

I was referring to the first in my previous post while you seem to know the second.

Last edited:

1. How do you calculate distance using the Pythagorean theorem?

The Pythagorean theorem states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. In terms of distance, this means that the distance between two points in a two-dimensional coordinate system can be calculated by finding the square root of the sum of the squares of the differences between the x-coordinates and the y-coordinates of the two points.

2. What is the formula for calculating distance using the distance formula?

The distance formula is a more general way of calculating the distance between two points in a two-dimensional coordinate system. It is expressed as d = √[(x2 - x1)^2 + (y2 - y1)^2], where (x1, y1) and (x2, y2) are the coordinates of the two points. This formula is derived from the Pythagorean theorem.

3. Can the Pythagorean theorem be used to calculate distance in three-dimensional space?

No, the Pythagorean theorem only applies to two-dimensional space. In three-dimensional space, the distance between two points can be calculated using the distance formula d = √[(x2 - x1)^2 + (y2 - y1)^2 + (z2 - z1)^2], where (x1, y1, z1) and (x2, y2, z2) are the coordinates of the two points.

4. What is the difference between Euclidean distance and Manhattan distance?

Euclidean distance, also known as straight-line distance, is the shortest distance between two points in a two-dimensional or three-dimensional space. It is calculated using the distance formula. Manhattan distance, also known as taxicab distance, is calculated by finding the sum of the absolute differences between the coordinates of the two points. It is named after the grid-like layout of the streets in Manhattan, where one can only travel along the streets to reach a destination.

5. Can distance be calculated in other types of coordinate systems?

Yes, distance can be calculated in other types of coordinate systems, such as polar coordinates or spherical coordinates. However, the formulas for calculating distance in these systems will be different from the Pythagorean theorem or the distance formula. For example, in polar coordinates, the distance between two points is calculated as d = √(r1^2 + r2^2 - 2r1r2cos(θ2 - θ1)), where r1 and θ1 are the polar coordinates of the first point and r2 and θ2 are the polar coordinates of the second point.