Hydrogen bonding. Why isn't Cl included?

In summary, hydrogen bonding occurs in molecules containing H and one or more of the following elements: N, O, and F, but not Cl. This is because Cl is larger than the other elements and therefore its electronegativity does not have as strong of an effect on a hydrogen atom. Additionally, H-bonding is very directional and requires a non-metal small atom.
CaptainZappo
I was wondering why hydrogen bonding only occurs in molecules containing H and one or more of the following: N, O, and F.

Why isn't Cl included in this list? The reason I ask is because the electronegativity of Cl is very close to (and even equal to one of) the electronegativities of the other atoms (N, O, and F), which would lead me to think it would have nearly the same effect on a hydrogen atom as the other three.

Thanks for any insight,
-Zachary Lindsey

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I think is important the size of the atom.

Cl is bigger than the elements from second periode F, O, N

see this wiki link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomic_radii_of_the_elements_%28data_page%29"

The H-bonding is very directional not only because the diferences between the electronegativity, is neccesary a no-metal small.

Sorry for my English, I hope you understand my words

Last edited by a moderator:
I understand you just fine. Thank you for the link. It seems like a nice resource.

Thanks again for the reply.

1. What is hydrogen bonding?

Hydrogen bonding is a type of intermolecular force that occurs between a hydrogen atom bonded to an electronegative atom, such as oxygen or nitrogen, and another electronegative atom. It is a weak force that is responsible for many important properties of water and other molecules.

2. How does hydrogen bonding occur?

Hydrogen bonding occurs when a hydrogen atom bonded to an electronegative atom has a partial positive charge, and it is attracted to the partial negative charge of another electronegative atom. This creates a strong dipole-dipole interaction between the two molecules.

3. Why is hydrogen bonding important?

Hydrogen bonding is important because it influences many physical and chemical properties of molecules. It is responsible for the high boiling and melting points of water, the unique structure of DNA, and the solubility of many substances in water, among other things.

4. Why isn't chlorine (Cl) included in hydrogen bonding?

Chlorine is not included in hydrogen bonding because it is not highly electronegative enough to form a strong dipole-dipole interaction with hydrogen. While chlorine can form weaker hydrogen bonds, they are not as significant as those formed with oxygen or nitrogen.

5. Can hydrogen bonding occur between molecules of different substances?

Yes, hydrogen bonding can occur between molecules of different substances as long as they have an electronegative atom bonded to a hydrogen atom. For example, it can occur between water molecules and alcohol molecules, or between water molecules and DNA molecules.