How can this function be simplified?

In summary: Learn the quotient rule. The quotient rule is the simplified product rule.If you want a simpler way, you could divide the equation (as in y= (x^2)/(x^.5) +4x/(x^.5) +(3x^0)/(x^.5), and simplify the exponents (subtract them). Then just use the general power rule to find the derivative.
afcwestwarrior
y=x^2+4x+3/square root x

i did this

s
x^2+4x+3) square root x/ sq x * sq x

sq x *x^2)+4x*sq x+ 3/1

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
i made all the sq x equal 1/2x^-1/2
so what am i suppost to do, i know its suppost to be 3/2 sq x + 2/sqx - 3/2x sq x

any one can u help me

I can't tell what the function is. Is the square root of x just with the 3, or is it the denominator to all of it?? Try to use brackets to make things clearer.

Is this it? [tex]y=(x^2+4x+3)/\sqrt{x}[/tex]

Use the Quotient rule.

thats it, on this one u don't use the quotient rule, i could, but there's a way since square root of x is a negative number

afcwestwarrior said:
i made all the sq x equal 1/2x^-1/2
so what am i suppost to do, i know its suppost to be 3/2 sq x + 2/sqx - 3/2x sq x

OK, I THINK i see what you're getting at here, but I don't understand why you are multiplying sq x * sq x. If you break up each term to be over sq x, you can just then simplify the x each term, and then take the derivative. This way you don't have to do the quotient rule, you are just taking the derivative of each term separately. That is the only way I can see getting the answer you say it is supposed to be.

Ok, I've never heard of this other way but good luck

afcwestwarrior said:
thats it, on this one u don't use the quotient rule, i could, but there's a way since square root of x is a negative number

so x is imaginary?:confused:

I am in calculus 1 as well so correct me if I'm wrong. I would approach this problem a different way. First off quotient rule is too messy for my liking, Id rather use the product rule. To do this:

Step 1: Bring the denominator up so you can use the product rule:

Since:
sqrt(x) = x^1/2 and 1/(x^1/2) = x^-1/2 you can move sqrt(x) to the top (moving the x^1/2 to the numerator makes the exponent negative)

The original function (x^2+4x+3)/sqrt(x) now equals (x^2+4x+3)*(x^-1/2)
Step 2: Now, using the product rule solve:
(x^2+4x+3)*(-1/2)(x^-3/2)+(x^-1/2)*(2x+4)
simplify:
-1(x^2+4x+3)/2(x^3/2)+(2x+4)/(x^1/2)
To get even denominators multiply the right side by 2x
(-x^2-4x-3)/2(x^3/2)+(4x^2+8x)/2(x^3/2)
simplify, giving the derivative:
(3x^2+4x-3)/(2x^3/2)

*edit* if you write this out you will understand it ALOT better, I havnt mastered how to do the coding yet.

Last edited:
use this

use (a+b+c)/d = a/d + b/d + c/d

and then differentiate each term .

afcwestwarrior said:
y=x^2+4x+3/square root x

i did this

s
x^2+4x+3) square root x/ sq x * sq x

sq x *x^2)+4x*sq x+ 3/1

(x^4+ 4x+ 3)/sqrt(x)= (x^4+ 4x+ 3)/x^(1/2)= (x^4+ 4x+ 3)x^(-1/2) and you can use the product rule.

Is that what you meant about square root being "negative"?

yes that's what i meant

actually in this equation u use the power rule,

take 1/x^2= -1x^-2= -1/x^2

except the problem i posted looks different and is more confusing

Learn the quotient rule. The quotient rule is the simplified product rule.

If you want a simpler way, you could divide the equation (as in y= (x^2)/(x^.5) +4x/(x^.5) +(3x^0)/(x^.5), and simplify the exponents (subtract them). Then just use the general power rule to find the derivative.

iamlovelyboy's method avoids the quotient and the product rule

[tex]y=(x^2+4x+3)/\sqrt{x}

=(x^2 + 4x + 3)x^{-1/2}

= x^{3/2} + 4x^{1/2} + 3x^{-1/2}[/tex]

now differentiate each term

Last edited:
My bad, I didn't see iamlovelyboy's post.

1. What is differentiation?

Differentiation is a mathematical process that involves finding the rate of change of a function with respect to its independent variable. In simpler terms, it is the process of finding the slope of a curve at a specific point.

2. Why is differentiation important?

Differentiation is important because it helps us to understand the behavior of a function and its rate of change. It is used extensively in mathematical and scientific fields to solve problems related to motion, optimization, and rates of change.

3. Can any function be differentiated?

No, not all functions can be differentiated. A function must be continuous and have a defined slope at every point in order to be differentiated. Some functions, such as step functions and absolute value functions, do not have a defined slope at every point and therefore cannot be differentiated.

4. How do you differentiate a function?

To differentiate a function, you need to apply the rules of differentiation, which involve finding the derivative of each term in the function. The derivative is a measure of the slope of a function at a specific point.

5. What are the most common rules of differentiation?

Some of the most common rules of differentiation include the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule. The power rule states that the derivative of a function raised to a power is equal to the power multiplied by the function raised to the power minus one. The product rule and quotient rule are used to find the derivatives of products and quotients of functions, respectively. The chain rule is used to find the derivative of a function within a function.