Best core material would be for an electromagnet

In summary, the conversation is about finding the best core material for an electromagnet, with the main criteria being maximum magnetic strength and efficiency at a voltage range of 3-9 volts DC and frequency of 80-160 Hz. The solenoid will be used to move an armature bar attached to a spring, and corrosion and price are not factors. Soft iron is the usual choice, but the person is looking for something with top performance. They also mention possibly calling it a "relay" and provide a link to a picture for reference. Another person suggests a company that specializes in core materials.
Phaedrus
Wondering if anyone can give me a clue as to where I might look for information on what the best core material would be for an electromagnet if price were not an issue.

I need as much magnetic strength as possible for between 3-9 volts DC. At between 80-160Hz.

Basically this is a solenoid that moves an armature bar attached to a spring.

Corrosion is not an issue.
Price is not an issue.
Only efficiency.
Soft iron is usually the first choice but I'm looking for something at the top end of performance.
Thanks
If there is a better forum to ask this question under please let me know.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Maybe calling it a "relay" is more accurate. Anyway the core material will be wrapped with magnet wire which will move an armature bar when on...which will open the circuit releasing the armature bar to its normal position which closes the circuit and starts the process over again...only this will be going 80-160 Hz...depending on the spring setup.
like this
http://img37.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=33026_relay1_122_401lo.jpg"
hope that worked

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like a buzzer to me:approve:
Let's see I know your looking for a traction magnet and..
that's about it

BUT
http://www.cmispecialty.com/data-sheets.cfm"
This place specializes in it so they should know what you want.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the best material for an electromagnet's core?

The best material for an electromagnet's core depends on various factors, such as the strength and size of the desired magnetic field, the operating temperature, and the cost. Some commonly used materials for electromagnet cores include iron, steel, and soft magnetic alloys like nickel-iron or cobalt-iron.

2. How does the core material affect the strength of an electromagnet?

The core material plays a crucial role in determining the strength of an electromagnet. Materials with high magnetic permeability, such as iron, can efficiently concentrate the magnetic field lines, resulting in a stronger magnetic field. Additionally, the type and amount of current passing through the core also impact the strength of the electromagnet.

3. What are the advantages and disadvantages of using iron for an electromagnet core?

Iron is a popular choice for an electromagnet core due to its high magnetic permeability, low cost, and easy availability. However, iron cores are susceptible to saturation, meaning they can only handle a limited amount of magnetic flux before their effectiveness decreases. This limitation can be overcome by using more expensive materials with higher saturation levels.

4. Can the core material affect the efficiency of an electromagnet?

Yes, the core material can significantly impact the efficiency of an electromagnet. Materials with low electrical conductivity, such as iron, can cause energy losses due to eddy currents, reducing the overall efficiency. Choosing a core material with higher electrical conductivity, like copper or aluminum, can improve the efficiency of an electromagnet.

5. Is there a one-size-fits-all solution for the best core material for an electromagnet?

No, there is no one-size-fits-all solution for the best core material for an electromagnet. The ideal core material depends on the specific requirements and intended use of the electromagnet. Factors such as desired magnetic field strength, operating temperature, and cost must be considered when selecting the appropriate core material for an electromagnet.