PF PHOTO CONTEST - People, People Who Need People (3/24-3/30)

In summary: I'm going to go with this one instead. It's from a recent trip to the state fair.http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i386/InsanityIsForTheWeak/statefair2013-2.jpg In summary, people, people who need people, pictures of people, photography, state fair
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
People, People Who Need People

Our theme this week is on people. Your picture must have plenty of people in it - at least 10.

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 650 x 490 or 490 x 650 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. But other than that, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawl by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. These pictures must be something that you took, not something taken off someone else's photo albums or taken by someone else. I have no way of checking if you did this, so we'll go by the honor system.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread.

Zz.

Physics news on Phys.org
The only time I take pictures of people is when they get in the way...
432395442_42f8aed924_o.jpg

Like larkspur, I rarely take any pictures with groups of people. In fact, I routinely avoid groups of people to reduce the chances of having a bad reaction to fragrances. Here is one that fits the "people who need people" thing, though. On the Sunday after Labor Day every year, we in the United Bikers of Maine team up with the Marines' Toys for Tots program and stage an annual Toy Run. It's the largest charity event in the state, with tens of thousands of bikers descending on the state capitol to donate toys and money to the Salvation Army so they can give needy kids a few nice things at Christmas. My wife and I try to avoid the stuffed-toy trend so we can concentrate on older kids. One year we gave portable CD players with rechargeable batteries and chargers, one year we gave sleeping bags and board games (good for sleep-overs, but those winter-weight bags are also pretty nice for kids who are sleeping in cold bedrooms). Every year we try to come up with something new. The only reason I took this picture, in fact, is that the lady on the Dyna with the purple flip-flop paint is a friend and is secretary of our local UBM chapter.

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/6874/toyrun005wu5.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm...tough finding photos with that many people. I had one photo that was one person short (unless I got to count my cousin's pregnant wife as 2 people :biggrin:), so had to resort to this one. It's not a great photo, but it seems to fit the theme...it's from my second cousin's wedding.

http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/289/peoplebv9.jpg [Broken]

A group of Tibetan monks taking a stroll through downtown Portland. (only Five monks, but counting the people in the background...)

http://home.earthlink.net/~parvey/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/monks.jpg [Broken]

Little people need people too

http://home.wanadoo.nl/bijkerk/littlepeople.JPG [Broken]

Mk said:
Some elderly Indian women by the river market selling fish and vegetables, contrasted with some young kid. I like this picture. Taken also in India, it kind of makes me think of "the old and the new" "the young and the old" "globalization" and maybe even "rich and poor."

The picture does not qualify per the criteria stated in the first post.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
The picture does not qualify per the criteria stated in the first post.

Zz.

Sorry about that, thought it said 5 :blushing:

This was an easy place to find a LOT of people.

img5164nl4.jpg

Zz.

Cripes, in order to meet the requirements, I would have to assemble the whole town. :biggrin:

Ivan Seeking said:
Cripes, in order to meet the requirements, I would have to assemble the whole town. :biggrin:
I live 'way out in the boonies and I have probably 20 people living within a mile of here. I could probably assemble 10 of them by heading up to my neighbor's range and engaging in a little target practice. "What'cha shooting?" "Sounds like hot loads." "Pretty tight groups." "Ever try the Speers boattails?" Around here, the sound of target practice draws interested neighbors like the smells of a BBQs draws dogs.

edit: hold on I don't know that this is allowed because I didn't really take the photo, let me ask Zz.

Last edited:
dontdisturbmycircles said:
edit: hold on I don't know that this is allowed because I didn't really take the photo, let me ask Zz.

If you didn't take the photo, then no, not allowed. You must be the photographer to enter it.

Andre said:
Little people need people too

http://home.wanadoo.nl/bijkerk/littlepeople.JPG [Broken]
[/URL]

I think that guy is the boy in the fronts father. They both have big ears and forhead. :rofl:

I couldn't pass up the opportunity to share this gem. Look what I espied through the trees at the park - live action role players!

liveactionrp.jpg

scorpa said:
Well here is my entry, nothing as good as what has been entered already but i feel like I should enter something and what better place to meet people than at the bike show!

Scorpa, that is so butch! :)

Zz.

0TheSwerve0 said:
I couldn't pass up the opportunity to share this gem. Look what I espied through the trees at the park - live action role players!

Looks like you ran across a SCA(Society for Creative Anachronism) gathering.

scorpa said:
Well here is my entry, nothing as good as what has been entered already but i feel like I should enter something and what better place to meet people than at the bike show!
Why are we the only ones with lots of bike pictures. Are we the only "normal" photographers here?:rofl:

turbo-1 said:
Why are we the only ones with lots of bike pictures. Are we the only "normal" photographers here?:rofl:

Yes I think that must be the reason! :approve:

ZapperZ said:
2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 650 x 490 or 490 x 650 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish.
You wouldn't need that part of the rules if you used http://www.imageshack.us/" thumbnail feature.

Thrice said:
You wouldn't need that part of the rules if you used http://www.imageshack.us/" thumbnail feature.
I think we shouldn't use thumbnails at all. I just use imageshack's "scale down picture for message boards and forums" parameter.

Well some people might prefer high resolution pics.

Thrice said:

.. and not everyone uses imageshack, thus the rule.

Thrice said:
Well some people might prefer high resolution pics.

Then those people certainly won't prefer to enter this contest. We will certainly miss them and wish them well.

Zz.

:rolleyes: It's just a suggestion. Sorry for trying to help.

You have less than 2 days left to submit a photo for this contest.

Zz.

1. What is the theme of the PF PHOTO CONTEST for this week?

The theme for this week's PF PHOTO CONTEST is "People, People Who Need People". This means that all submitted photos must prominently feature people and convey the idea of human connection.

2. How long do I have to submit my photo for the contest?

The submission period for the PF PHOTO CONTEST is from March 24th to March 30th. Any photos submitted after the deadline will not be considered for the contest.

3. Can I submit more than one photo for the contest?

Yes, you can submit multiple photos for the PF PHOTO CONTEST. However, please note that each participant is only eligible to win one prize.

4. Who can participate in the PF PHOTO CONTEST?

The PF PHOTO CONTEST is open to all individuals, regardless of their background or location. As long as you have a valid email address to submit your photo, you are eligible to participate.

5. How are the winners of the PF PHOTO CONTEST selected?

The winners of the PF PHOTO CONTEST are selected by a panel of judges based on the creativity, originality, and adherence to the theme of the submitted photo. The judges' decision is final and cannot be appealed.