Maximum Pressure Applied to Hand While Racing at 220mph

In summary, the conversation discusses using the Bernoulli equation to estimate the maximum pressure that would be applied to a hand out of an open car window at different speeds and temperatures. The second part of the conversation involves obtaining the temperature downstream of a partially opened valve using the same equation. The advice given is to show effort and consider the air density at the given temperature.
*titanium*
Estimate the maximum pressure that would be applied to your hand if oyu were told it out of an open car window while the car travles at 70mph through still ait at 20 degrees c what would be the maximum pressure applied to your hand if the car where a formula one race car traveling at 220mph

I think I am suposed ot use the Bernoulli equation but it doesn't work, iv looked at questions in the textbook and they are much simpler, on the work sheet iv got I always seem to have too many unknowns.

Physics news on Phys.org
I HAVE A THERMODYNAMICS QUESTION THAT I NEED ASSISTANCE WITH.

NITROGEN FLOWS THROUGH AN INSULATED PIPE AT A STEADY STATE THROUGH A PARTIALLY OPENED VALVE. THE INSIDE DIAMETER IS 1.5 inch> JUST BEFOR THE VALVE THE UPSTREAM PRESSURE INSIDE THE PIPE WAS Pup =120psia AT A TEMPERATURE OF 12O degrees fahreheit. THE GAS VELOCITY WAS MEASURED TO BE 20 feet per second.
THE PRESSURE ON THE DOWN STREAM SIDE OF THE VALVE WAS MEASURED TO BE P down =20 psia. HOW WOULD YOU OBTSIN THE TEMPERATURE JUST DOWN STREAM OF THE VALVE.

Titanium: You need to show some sort of effort on your part.

Gizzy: Do not hijack threads with a different topic. If you need assistance, create your own thread and follow the forum guidelines by showing how you have attempted to do this problem.

Last edited:
*titanium* said:
Estimate the maximum pressure that would be applied to your hand if oyu were told it out of an open car window while the car travles at 70mph through still ait at 20 degrees c what would be the maximum pressure applied to your hand if the car where a formula one race car traveling at 220mph

Bernoulli would be correct. Think about it, Bernoulli can be applied along a certain streamline. Consider a streamline from infinity...

It s stagnation pressure

What you need to do is to write Bernoulli equation between a far field point and a point on your hand.You will simply get the solution.It s not so complicated.What you need to know extra is the air density at 20°C.You can glance through appendixes of thermodynamics or fluid mechanics textbooks. good luck!

1. What is considered a safe maximum pressure for a human hand while racing at 220mph?

The safe maximum pressure for a human hand while racing at 220mph varies depending on the individual's physical condition and experience. However, on average, the maximum pressure should not exceed 20 pounds per square inch (psi) to avoid any potential injuries.

2. Can hand injuries occur from racing at high speeds?

Yes, hand injuries can occur from racing at high speeds, especially if the maximum pressure applied to the hand exceeds safe limits. These injuries can range from minor bruising and strains to more serious conditions such as fractures and nerve damage.

3. How can I decrease the maximum pressure on my hands while racing at 220mph?

There are several ways to decrease the maximum pressure on your hands while racing at 220mph. These include using specialized racing gloves with cushioned padding, adjusting your grip on the steering wheel, and taking frequent breaks to rest and stretch your hands.

4. Is there a correlation between hand size and the maximum pressure that can be applied while racing at 220mph?

Yes, there is a correlation between hand size and the maximum pressure that can be applied while racing at 220mph. Generally, individuals with larger hands have a higher threshold for maximum pressure and may be less prone to hand injuries compared to those with smaller hands.

5. Are there any exercises or techniques to strengthen the hands for racing at high speeds?

Yes, there are exercises and techniques that can help strengthen the hands for racing at high speeds. These include grip strengthening exercises, using hand grippers, and practicing proper hand positioning while driving. Consult with a fitness professional for specific exercises and techniques tailored to your individual needs.