Multisim: 8-Bit Parallel-In/Serial-Out (74ls166)

• Thread starter N468989
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the connection of the IC 74LS166 (Parallel in / Serial out) to a design, with the speaker seeking help in connecting the control pins. Another person suggests that the LS374 may not be necessary and provides information on how the LS166 works. The speaker expresses gratitude for the helpful information.
N468989
Hi,

i am trying to connect the IC 74LS166 (Parallel in / Serial out) to my design, but i´m having trouble connecting this component, if anyone knows how this is done or any idea i would appreciate it.

i have the parallel intput from a 74LS374 which has 8 D-type flip-flops, basically i just need help connecting the control pins

thanks in advance

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
If all the LS374 is doing is feeding the LS166 then you probably don't need it.
The 166 will latch 8 bits of data when you drive the load pin low.
The only other thing you need is a clock pulse to shift the data to the output port.
Of course you do need to wait until all the data is written out before doing another load.

thank you very much, that´s the info i needed;)

What is Multisim: 8-Bit Parallel-In/Serial-Out (74ls166)?

Multisim: 8-Bit Parallel-In/Serial-Out (74ls166) is a type of integrated circuit (IC) that allows for data to be inputted in parallel and outputted in serial. It is commonly used in digital electronics and microcontroller projects.

How does Multisim: 8-Bit Parallel-In/Serial-Out (74ls166) work?

The 74ls166 IC has 8 input pins, which can receive data in parallel (all at the same time). This data is then converted into a serial format and outputted through a single pin. It uses a shift register, which stores the data and shifts it out one bit at a time.

What are the advantages of using Multisim: 8-Bit Parallel-In/Serial-Out (74ls166)?

One advantage is that it can reduce the number of input/output pins needed for a project, as it can handle 8 bits of data with just one input and one output pin. It also allows for faster data transfer rates compared to serial-only ICs.

What are the limitations of Multisim: 8-Bit Parallel-In/Serial-Out (74ls166)?

One limitation is that it can only handle 8 bits of data at a time, so it may not be suitable for projects that require larger data sets. It also requires additional components, such as a clock signal, to function properly.

How can Multisim: 8-Bit Parallel-In/Serial-Out (74ls166) be used in a project?

Multisim: 8-Bit Parallel-In/Serial-Out (74ls166) can be used in various projects that require data transfer between parallel and serial devices, such as microcontrollers, sensors, and displays. It can also be used in combination with other ICs to expand the number of input/output pins available.