Direction of induced current

In summary, using the right hand rule with my thumb pointing towards y and my fingers pointing down, and my palm pointing in the direction of force, which is straight into the magnet, indicates that the current is in the direction of my thumb. It is also noted that since f=m x a and the solenoid is being moved in at a constant speed, there should be no force. This suggests that the right hand rule may not be applicable in this situation. Additionally, it is mentioned that magnetic fields are not linear in all space from a horseshoe magnet and will react to the gradient or change in flux. The conversation also discusses the use of the right hand rule in a scenario involving two parallel plates and the need for a moving
Ry122
ameter.jpg

Just need to know if current goes from x to y or y to x.
using right hand rule with my thumb pointing towards y and my fingers pointing down (in direction of flux lines) and my palm pointing in direction of force which is straight into the magnet indicates current is in the direction of my thumb.
Is that correct?
Also, since f=m x a and the solenoid is being moved in at a constant speed (no acceleration) that means there should be no force.
Does this mean the right hand rule can't be used in this situation?

Physics news on Phys.org
magnetic fields are not linear in all space from a horse shoe magnet. So it will react to the gradient, or the change in flux.
Trying to understand your drawing.
If that is not a horseshoe magnet, but two parallel plates, ignoring edge effects,
well
[itex] \bigtriangledown \times E = -\frac{\delta B}{\delta t} [/itex] so you need a moving magnetic field.
Maybe just explain your problem better, and set up the motion and geometry properly.

Last edited:

Your understanding of the right hand rule is correct. The direction of induced current is determined by the direction of the magnetic field and the motion of the solenoid. In this case, the thumb points towards the direction of motion, which is towards y, so the current would flow from x to y.

However, in this situation, since there is no acceleration, the force on the solenoid would be zero. This does not mean that the right hand rule cannot be used. The right hand rule can still be used to determine the direction of induced current, but it would not be used to determine the direction of force. Instead, the force would be determined by the equation F = ma, where a is the acceleration of the solenoid. So while the right hand rule can still be used, it would not be used to determine the force in this case.

What is the direction of induced current?

The direction of induced current is determined by the direction of the change in magnetic field. If the magnetic field is increasing, the induced current will flow in one direction. If the magnetic field is decreasing, the induced current will flow in the opposite direction.

How is the direction of induced current determined?

The direction of induced current is determined by Lenz's law, which states that the induced current will flow in a direction that opposes the change in magnetic field that caused it. This means that the induced current will always try to maintain the original magnetic field.

Does the direction of induced current depend on the orientation of the coil?

Yes, the direction of induced current can depend on the orientation of the coil. If the coil is perpendicular to the magnetic field, the induced current will flow in one direction. If the coil is parallel to the magnetic field, the induced current will flow in the opposite direction.

What is the difference between induced current and electric current?

Induced current is a temporary current that is created by a changing magnetic field, while electric current is a continuous flow of electrons in a circuit. Induced current only exists as long as there is a changing magnetic field, while electric current can continue to flow as long as there is a complete circuit.

Can the direction of induced current be reversed?

Yes, the direction of induced current can be reversed by reversing the direction of the change in magnetic field. If the magnetic field is increasing, the induced current will flow in one direction. If the magnetic field is decreasing, the induced current will flow in the opposite direction.