Matrix of angular momentum operator

In summary, the matrix elements for the raising and lowering operators for one particle are different.
TURK
as known to all, we can find a matrix representation for every operator in quantum mechanics.

for example for total angular momentum of one particle j(square) the elements are j(j+1)(square)h(bar) δmm'

However I have stucked in two particle systems.

for example I could not find the matrix of j1+j2- (this is a product) here j1+ is the raising operator for first particle and j2- is the lowering operator for second one.
normally for one particle raising angular momentum operator gives the eigen value (squareroot)[j(j+1)-m(m+1)].
but in this case as far as i know, i have to find the matrix representration of product of this two operator. but for the below conditions I could not create a matrix.
lets say j1=2 j2=1 and the restriction is m= m1 +m2 = 2. that is m1 can take values 2,1 and coresponding m2 values are 0 and 1.
can you help me about this?

Physics news on Phys.org
You must first write down your basis states, e.g. you can take the product states

|1> = |j1=2, m1=2>|j2=1,m2=0>

|2> = |j1=2, m1=1>|j2=1,m2=1>

If we put A = J1^{+} J2^{-}, then the matrix elements are

A_{i,j} = <i|A|j>

e.g.

A_{1,2} =

<|j1=2, m1=2|<j2=1,m2=0|J1^{+} J2^{-}
|j1=2, m1=1>|j2=1,m2=1>

We have:

J1^{+} J2^{-}|j1=2, m1=1>|j2=1,m2=1> =

(J1^{+} |j1=2, m1=1>) (J2^{-}|j2=1,m2=1>) =

2sqrt(2)h-bar^2|j1=2, m1=2>|j2=1, m2=0>

And we see that A_{1,2} = 2sqrt(2)h-bar^2

is that a diagonal matrix or an off diagonal matrix.
you took the state 1 and state 2 to form the matrix of the operator A and after you applied the operators to the state of 2 you got the state of 1 then the kronecker delta gave you what? a diagonal matrix or what?

thanks by the way for your answer.

or could you just write the elemts of this 2x2 matrix.
thanks alot.

ah okey just understood
thnaks very much for your kindness.

1. What is the Matrix of Angular Momentum Operator?

The Matrix of Angular Momentum Operator is a mathematical representation of the angular momentum operator in quantum mechanics. It is used to describe the angular momentum of a quantum system and is a key concept in understanding the behavior of particles at the quantum level.

2. How is the Matrix of Angular Momentum Operator calculated?

The Matrix of Angular Momentum Operator is calculated by taking the cross product of the position vector and the momentum vector of a system, and then expressing it in terms of the basis vectors of the system. This calculation results in a matrix with three components, one for each axis of rotation.

3. What is the significance of the Matrix of Angular Momentum Operator in quantum mechanics?

The Matrix of Angular Momentum Operator is significant because it helps us understand the behavior of particles at the quantum level. It is used in calculations of energy levels, transition probabilities, and other properties of quantum systems. It also plays a crucial role in the formulation of the Heisenberg uncertainty principle.

4. How does the Matrix of Angular Momentum Operator relate to the classical concept of angular momentum?

The Matrix of Angular Momentum Operator is closely related to the classical concept of angular momentum. In the classical sense, angular momentum is a vector quantity that describes the rotational motion of a system. In quantum mechanics, the matrix of angular momentum operator is used to represent the same concept, but at the quantum level.

5. Can the Matrix of Angular Momentum Operator be applied to all quantum systems?

Yes, the Matrix of Angular Momentum Operator can be applied to all quantum systems. It is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics and is used to describe the behavior of particles with spin, such as electrons, as well as systems with rotational motion, such as atoms and molecules.