Crystal Lattice/crystaline structure

In summary: This electric field can cause changes in the electronic properties of the material, depending on the nature of the material and the strength of the electric field.Now, returning to the lewis-dot-structure. If you think about a lewis-dot-structure as a collection of single H2O molecules, then you can see that the dipole moment of each molecule is aligned along the direction of the bond in the structure. This means that the structure will have a net dipole moment, and as a result, it will experience an electric field. In fact, the electric field is so intense that it can cause the structure to vibrate. This vibration is what gives the structure its name: piezoelect
astro_kat
Hi, I've got a question, I recently got interested in piezoelectricity. I almost no nothing about it tho. From the wiki artcile I gathered that when a force acts upon a piezoelectric material and deforms its shape, an electrical potential is created. I know that it has many applications in electronics, medicine, ect... but how does it work? I was thinking about a couple of crystal compounds from the wiki, and i thought perhaps a lewis-dot-structure might help.

Am I on the right track in saying that an outide force causes a distortion which makes the individual molecules' intermolecular forces interact?

Physics news on Phys.org
The Lewis dot structure is not really useful for systems of a large number of interacting atoms (such as in a crystal). But, in this case, a very simplistic argument can be extracted from a single molecular structure, that provides some insight into the physics behind peizoelectricity. I'll first make the simplistic argument, and then try to develop a better picture of the real phenomenon.

Consider a single H2O molecule with two slightly positively charged H-atoms bonded to a slightly negatively charged O-atom, with a bond angle of about 105 degrees. Because of the non-linear geometry, the molecule has a natural dipole moment pointing along the axis of rotational symmetry. If you were to somewhow take a single H2O molecule and flatten it so it became linear, then it would no longer have a dipole moment. Alternatively, if you compressed the molecule from the sides, making the bond angle smaller, you will increase the dipole moment. In other words, forcing the molecule into an unnatural state of stress changes its dipole moment. From your recollection of electrostatics, you know that a electric dipole produces an electrostatic field, so changing the dipole moment will change the E-field within the molecule. This is the simplistic, single molecule picture: you apply a stress, you change the dipole moment, and thus change the electric field.

Last edited:
In crystals lacking certain symmetry elements, it is possible for a unit cell to have a net dipole moment. Typically, in a polycrystalline material, dipole moments tend to line up within tiny regions known as Weiss Domains (similar to the magnetic domains in a ferromagnetic material) which, in the absence of an applied field, are oriented randomly, resulting in no net polarization. When a stress is applied to the materials, domains that are oriented in the right direction become more polar (or tend to grow) at the cost of domains that are oriented at right angles to them. This mechanism is somewhat like the one explained in the above post. As a result, the crystal gains a net polarization.

This net polarization is equivalent to the creation of a net dipolar surface charge on the opposite surfaces of the crystal, normal to the direction of applied stress. Or, without having to think about the surface charge, you can still see that now an electric field is set up inside the crystal, as a result of the non-zero polarization.

What is a crystal lattice?

A crystal lattice is a three-dimensional geometric arrangement of atoms, molecules, or ions in a crystalline solid. It is the repeating pattern that forms the structure of a crystal.

What is the difference between a crystal lattice and amorphous structure?

A crystal lattice has a highly ordered and repeating pattern, while an amorphous structure lacks this order and has a random arrangement of particles.

How does the crystal lattice affect the properties of a material?

The crystal lattice determines the physical and chemical properties of a material, such as its melting point, hardness, and conductivity. The arrangement of atoms or molecules in the crystal lattice affects how they interact with each other and with external forces.

What factors can influence the formation of a crystal lattice?

The formation of a crystal lattice is influenced by factors such as temperature, pressure, and the types of atoms or molecules present. These factors can affect the spacing and orientation of particles in the lattice, resulting in different crystal structures.

Can crystals have different types of lattice structures?

Yes, crystals can have different lattice structures, including cubic, tetragonal, orthorhombic, hexagonal, trigonal, and monoclinic. The type of lattice structure depends on the arrangement and symmetry of the particles in the crystal.