Net electrostatic force on charge between parallel plates

In summary, the problem involves two point charges, Q1 and Q2, located between two oppositely charged plates. The charges are separated by a distance of 0.34m and the electric field produced by the plates is uniform and equal to 73,000N/C. To find the net electric force on Q1, Coulomb's law is needed. The force on Q1 due to Q2 can be calculated using the formula k(q1)(q2)/(r^2), while the force from the uniform electric field can be found using F=qE. The direction of the force on Q1 is unknown without a diagram.
jh12
I am having some trouble getting started with this problem. Do I want to use kq/r^2 at all or should I be doing something else?

The problem is:

Two point charges, Q1=-6.7 microCoulombs and Q2= 1.3 microcoulombs, are located between two oppositely charged plates. (The positively charged plate is located nearer to Q1 and the negatively charged plate is located closer to Q2). The two point charges are separated by a distance of x= 0.34m. Assume that the electric field produced by the charged plates is uniform and equal to E=73,000N/C. Calculate the net electricstatic force on Q1 and give its direcion.

Physics news on Phys.org
jh12 said:
Do I want to use kq/r^2 at all or should I be doing something else?
You need find the net force on Q1. To find the force on Q1 due to Q2, you'll need Coulomb's law, which is almost that formula. But you also need the force on Q1 due to the uniform field from the plates.

I know i need to do k(q1)(q2)/(r^2) for that force but I am confused as to how to calculate the force for the electric fields. I know F=qE but I am unsure if each plate would exert an equal E value...

jh12 said:
I know F=qE but I am unsure if each plate would exert an equal E value...
I think you're given the total E field from both plates. (You still have to figure out its direction.)

so q(E) in the left direction would be the force from both plates then?
so the total force on q1 would be
q1(E) - (k)(q1)(q2)/(r^s) ?

Since you didn't provide a diagram, I don't know the orientation of q1 and q2 or the plates--so I don't know if the force is to the right or to the left. (But it will be something like that.)

1. What is the formula for calculating the net electrostatic force on a charge between parallel plates?

The formula for calculating the net electrostatic force on a charge between parallel plates is F = qE, where F is the force, q is the charge, and E is the electric field strength between the plates.

2. How do the distance between the parallel plates affect the net electrostatic force on a charge?

The distance between the parallel plates affects the net electrostatic force on a charge by directly influencing the electric field strength between the plates. As the distance between the plates increases, the electric field strength decreases, resulting in a weaker net electrostatic force.

3. Is the net electrostatic force between parallel plates always attractive?

No, the net electrostatic force between parallel plates can be either attractive or repulsive, depending on the charge of the particles involved. If the charges are of the same sign, the force will be repulsive, but if the charges are of opposite signs, the force will be attractive.

4. How does the magnitude of the charges affect the net electrostatic force between parallel plates?

The magnitude of the charges has a direct impact on the net electrostatic force between parallel plates. As the magnitude of the charges increases, the force between them also increases. This is because a larger charge creates a stronger electric field, resulting in a greater force on the particles.

5. Can the net electrostatic force between parallel plates be zero?

Yes, the net electrostatic force between parallel plates can be zero if the charges on the plates are equal in magnitude and opposite in sign. This results in an equal and opposite electric field, creating a balance of forces and resulting in a net force of zero on the particles between the plates.