What is the average angular velocity?

In summary, the average angular velocity between t = 2.0 s and t =3.3 s, given the equation theta = a t - b t^2+ c t^4 where a = 9.0 rad/s, b = 16.0 rad/s^2, and c = 1.6 rad/s^4, is 50 rad/s. This is found by using the formula change in theta / change in time, and plugging in the values for t to find the initial and final values of theta.
saturn67
The angle through which a rotating wheel has turned in time t is given by \
theta = a t - b t^2+ c t^4, where theta is in radians and t in seconds.

What is the average angular velocity between t = 2.0 s and t =3.3 s?
If a = 9.0 rad/s, b = 16.0 rad/s^2, c = 1.6 rad/s^4

Homework Equations

d(theta)/dt = omega

omega average = change in theta / change in time

The Attempt at a Solution

omega =a-2bt+4ct^3

i got omega = 63.1 rad/s (omega =a-2bt+4ct^3 )

and 2nd time i got 19.0826 (change in theta / change in time)both is wrong when i put on the webs

can anyone help me please

Physics news on Phys.org
Since it's asking for an average, you should use the second equation you listed. I don't know how you got the answer you posted, but using the values you are given for t, find your initial and final thetas. Change in theta is final minus initial.

Write it all out...perhaps you put it into your calculator incorrectly?

change in theta / change in time

yep this work answer is 50

45-(-20) = 65/1.3 = 50

i put in 45-20 on my calc that why is wrong thank for help

1. What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of the rate of change of an object's angular position over time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction, and is usually measured in radians per second (rad/s).

2. How is average angular velocity calculated?

Average angular velocity is calculated by dividing the change in angular position by the change in time. This can be represented by the formula: average angular velocity = (final angular position - initial angular position) / (final time - initial time).

3. What is the difference between angular velocity and linear velocity?

Angular velocity measures the amount of rotation an object undergoes in a specific amount of time, while linear velocity measures the distance an object travels in a specific amount of time. Angular velocity is measured in radians per second, while linear velocity is measured in meters per second.

4. What factors can affect the average angular velocity of an object?

The average angular velocity of an object can be affected by factors such as its mass, shape, and distance from the axis of rotation. Additionally, external forces such as friction and air resistance can also impact an object's angular velocity.

5. Why is average angular velocity important in physics?

Average angular velocity is an important concept in physics as it helps us understand and analyze the motion of rotating objects. It is also used in many practical applications, such as in the design of engines, turbines, and other rotating machinery.