Upgrading Octave: Exploring the Newer Version on Campus

• Thread starter qspeechc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Octave
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Octave on campus and the discovery of a newer version with a similar interface to MATLAB. The version on the speaker's laptop is 2.9 and they are seeking information on how to update it. Another participant suggests downloading an updated .rpm file, which is a package for the Redhat Package Manager. The current stable version of Octave is 3.0.1 and can be downloaded from the GNU website. The speaker also clarifies that most Linux distributions have package management systems to avoid the need for manual compilation.
qspeechc
Hello everyone.

I recently had to use Octave on campus, and I noticed they had a newer version from the last time I used it. The interface is very much more like that of MATLAB's, with the history, file directory etc. on the left-hand side; but most importantly, it allowed you to have an 'edit' page for writing scripts and M-files, like MATLAB, which you can run from the 'input' page (sorry I don't know the technical terms.).

The version I have on my laptop is 2.9, so does anybody know which version of Octave this was they had on campus, or is there some way I can update my version so it is more like this?

Technology news on Phys.org
You should be able to go to the website and download an updated .rpm and install it.

Im sorry, I'm not so hot with computers- what is this .rpm you talk about?

I don't know what operating system you use, but the current stable version of Octave is 3.0.1, available for several different systems here:
http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/download.html

By the way, an .rpm is a package for the Redhat Package Manager - Most linux distributions have package management systems so that you don't have to compile the software yourself.

1. What is Octave?

Octave is a high-level programming language and open-source software for numerical computations. It is widely used in mathematics, engineering, and scientific research.

2. What is the benefit of upgrading to the newer version of Octave?

The newer version of Octave offers improved performance, bug fixes, and new features that can enhance your experience in using the software. It also ensures compatibility with the latest operating systems and hardware.

3. How do I upgrade to the newer version of Octave on campus?

The process of upgrading to the newer version of Octave may vary depending on your campus's specific guidelines. It is best to consult with your IT department or refer to the Octave documentation for the specific steps to follow.

4. Will upgrading to the newer version of Octave affect my current projects?

In most cases, upgrading to the newer version of Octave should not affect your current projects. However, it is always recommended to back up your work before upgrading to avoid any potential issues.

5. Is there any training or support available for the newer version of Octave on campus?

Many campuses offer training sessions or workshops for the newer version of Octave. You can also refer to online tutorials, forums, and documentation for support and guidance in using the software.