Investigating the Phenomenon of a hot Ball on Parallel Metal Rails

In summary, the problem involves investigating the phenomenon of a hot metal ball placed on parallel horizontal rails. The equations provided relate the expansion of the rails and the ball to the temperature increase. However, after several attempts at measuring the expansion and inducing movement, the ball still does not move. The issue may be related to the high temperature causing deformation of the rails and preventing the ball from moving. The direction of movement for the ball is also unknown and further experimentation is needed to determine any potential factors affecting its tendency to move in a specific direction. There may be unknown factors at play in this problem.
mrh1192

Homework Statement

Put a hot metal ball on parallel horizontal rails. The ball starts to move. Investigate the phenomenon.

Homework Equations

I have found two equations, one exponential and one linear relating the expansion of the rails and the ball to the temperature increase.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have been working at this problem for more than 3 weeks now. I have tried heating up the rails and ball separately to try and measure their expansion, and have tried the experimental set up numerous times however the ball simply won't move. I have tried heating the ball when it is on the rails, to try and induce some movement however this hasn't worked either! Aluminium rails are being used, with a stainless steel ball bearing. However, the temperature of the apparatus at the point where the ball sits eventually gets so high that the rails begin to deform, preventing the ball from moving.

Does anybody have any ideas how this phenomenon works, or how I could improve the set-up in order to make it work?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Something is missing here.
So you don't see the ball moving so far. How do you know that it is supposed to move?
But assuming that is will, if the rails are horizontal and the ball is spherical, which way will the ball move? (Right or left, for example)

We know that the ball should move because the problem (see above) states that it should. Which direction it moves in is also unknown, though I assume it could roll either way. I am not sure whether any factor affects it's tendency to move right or left, and no experimentation so far has suggested that there is a specific tendancy.

Do you think that there may be somethnig unknown behind this problem?

1. What is the phenomenon of a hot ball on parallel metal rails?

The phenomenon of a hot ball on parallel metal rails refers to the observation that when a metal ball is placed on two parallel metal rails and allowed to roll, it heats up due to friction between the ball and the rails. This phenomenon is also known as kinetic heating.

2. What causes a hot ball on parallel metal rails?

The heat generated in this phenomenon is a result of friction between the surfaces of the ball and the rails. As the ball rolls, the surfaces rub against each other, converting kinetic energy into thermal energy, leading to an increase in temperature.

3. How can the temperature of the ball be measured during this phenomenon?

The temperature of the ball can be measured using a thermometer or an infrared camera. The thermometer can be placed on the surface of the ball, while the infrared camera can capture the heat emitted by the ball.

4. Is this phenomenon affected by the material of the ball and rails?

Yes, the material of the ball and rails can affect the amount of heat generated during this phenomenon. For example, a steel ball on steel rails will generate more heat compared to a plastic ball on plastic rails.

5. Are there any practical applications of this phenomenon?

Yes, this phenomenon has practical applications in industries such as transportation and manufacturing. It can be used to generate heat in systems such as brakes in trains and friction welding in manufacturing processes.