I was wondering is there a way to connect two rotating cicrcles

• Thread starter beedle bard
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rotating
In summary, Beedle is asking about connecting two rotating spheres. He does not want them to stop rotating (minimising friction, of course), and does not know what method or technology would be necessary. He is assisted by another user, who provides a solution involving a slip collar and a triangular beam.
beedle bard
guys, I'm new here. please forgive if I'm a bit clumsy or act like a fool.

i was wondering how do you connect two rotating cicrcles. specifically, suppose there are two huge spherical disc( torus). there is a distance of, say, 500 m between them. both are rotating at their indiviual revolutions. my question is: how do you connect them

i don't want them to stop rotating ( minimising friction, of course). i have no idea what method or technolgy would be use for this process.

specifically, i request you to consider this scenario in the light of space settlemnt( stanford torus).

kindly help me.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Beedle.
Your description is a bit vague, but it would seem that a simple slip collar would suffice. The tubular axle of one wheel would fit inside (with seals and bearings) the slightly larger axle of the other wheel.

Danger said:
Welcome to PF, Beedle.
Your description is a bit vague, but it would seem that a simple slip collar would suffice. The tubular axle of one wheel would fit inside (with seals and bearings) the slightly larger axle of the other wheel.

Danger, thanks for the reply. but i think that you misunderstood my question.

the toruses are lying adjacent( must be connected in a series) to each other; they are not parallel or within each other.i don't want to fit them within each other.

i'm trying to upload a picture from my computer, but i don't know how.

please help.

Do you mean, then, that it would be like two doughnuts lying beside each other on a table?

Danger said:
Do you mean, then, that it would be like two doughnuts lying beside each other on a table?

exactly.

moreover, the doughnuts are colossal (say, radius 500m), the distance between them is 100m and they are stationed in space.

Do you want a rigid connection or flexible one?What are the desired degrees of freedom?

Emreth said:
Do you want a rigid connection or flexible one?What are the desired degrees of freedom?

i think it should be rigid. basically, the connection should not hinder the rotations of the disc and allow to them to rotate simultaenously; while keeping them in place.

The most appropriate thing that I can think of would be to use a '[' shaped connector with one of the aforementioned slip-collars on each leg to mount the wheels. If I recall Gerry O'Neill's L-5 proposal correctly ('The High Frontier'), a hollow triangular beam would be sufficient for both strength and rigidity.

guys thanks for your help, the situtation has been resolved. so mod can you close this thread?

1. How can I connect two rotating circles?

To connect two rotating circles, you can use a mechanical linkage such as gears, chains, or belts. These linkages will allow the rotation of one circle to be transferred to the other, creating a connection between the two circles.

2. Is there a way to connect two rotating circles without using a mechanical linkage?

Yes, there are other ways to connect two rotating circles without using a mechanical linkage. For example, you can use magnets or friction to create a connection between the two circles. However, these methods may not be as stable or precise as using a mechanical linkage.

3. Can I use electricity to connect two rotating circles?

While electricity can be used to create a connection between two rotating circles, it is typically not the preferred method. This is because electricity can be unpredictable and may cause the circles to rotate at different speeds, resulting in an unstable connection.

4. Are there any limitations to connecting two rotating circles?

Yes, there are some limitations to connecting two rotating circles. For example, the size and weight of the circles may affect the type of connection that can be used. Additionally, the rate of rotation and the amount of force applied to the circles may also impact the effectiveness of the connection.

5. Can I adjust the speed of the rotating circles once they are connected?

Yes, you can adjust the speed of the rotating circles once they are connected. This can be done by changing the size or number of teeth on the gears in a mechanical linkage, or by adjusting the amount of friction or magnetic force in other types of connections.