Current, I'm not sure about my solution

• Thread starter noppawit
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Current
In summary: That's why the result from the OP is different from the result I used in my solution. So, I think the correct value should bevd=0.289m/sAha, you're right! I missed that typo. Good catch. So, the final answer for the ion drift speed should be 0.289 m/s. Is everything else correct?In summary, Earth's lower atmosphere contains negative and positive ions, with the positive ions drifting downward and the negative ions drifting upward due to an atmospheric electric field strength of 120V/m. Using the measured conductivity of the air in the region, a current density of 3.24*10-12
noppawit
Earth's lower atmosphere contains negative and positive ions that are produced by radioactive elements in the soil and cosmic rays from space. In a certain region, the atmospheric electric field strength is 120V/m and the field is directed vertically down. This field causes singly charged positive ions, at a density of 620cm-3, to drift downward and singly charged negative ions, at a density of 550 cm-3, to drift upward. The measured conductivity of the air in the region is 2.70*10-14. Calculate a) the magnitude of the current density and b) the ion drift speed, assumed to be the same for positive and negative ions.

E=120V/m; n+ = 620cm-3=620*106m-3; n- = 550cm-3 = 550*106m-3

σ=2.7*10-14 (Ω*m)-1

σ = 1/ρ; ρ=E/J then 1/ρ = J/E

2.7*10-14 = J/120

J=2.7*120*10=3.24*10-12 A/m2 ===== a)

J=nevd = (n+ - n-)*e*vd

3.24*10-12 = (620-550)*10-6*1.602*10-19*vd

vd=0.289m/s

Am I correct? Is there anything wrong in my solution. Please tell me.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good. :smile:

Just a minor point, it's generally preferred to manipulate symbols algebraically instead of the numbers. For example, make it:

J=Eσ

and then plug in the numbers.

You won't get any points off in an introductory physics class for doing it your way, but generally you're less likely to make an error if the number-plugging is done as the final step.

Good job!

How does this solution look good? I have plugged in these same numbers and you do not get the same number.

Can you show what you did? There was a typo in the OP, but the final answer was correct as far as I can tell. The correct value of (n+-n-) is really

(n+ - n-) = (620-550) cm-3 = (620-550)*10+6 m-3

I would say that your solution looks correct. However, it is always important to double-check your calculations and make sure all units are consistent. Additionally, it would be helpful to provide a brief explanation of each step in your solution to show your understanding of the problem. Overall, your solution seems to accurately calculate the current density and ion drift speed in the given region.

1. What is meant by "current" in a scientific context?

"Current" refers to the flow of electric charge through a conductor or medium. It is typically measured in amperes and can be either direct current (DC) or alternating current (AC).

2. How can I determine if my solution is correct?

The best way to determine the correctness of a solution is to test it through experimentation. This involves setting up controlled experiments and collecting data to analyze and draw conclusions from. Peer review and replication of results also play a crucial role in determining the validity of a solution.

3. What should I do if I am unsure about my solution?

If you are unsure about your solution, it is always helpful to seek feedback and advice from other scientists or experts in the field. They may be able to provide insights or suggest alternative approaches that could improve your solution.

4. How can I make my solution more reliable?

To make your solution more reliable, it is important to thoroughly test and validate it. This includes considering any potential limitations or biases in your experiments and addressing them appropriately. It may also be helpful to seek peer review and collaboration with other scientists to ensure the accuracy and robustness of your solution.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when working on a solution?

Some common mistakes to avoid when working on a solution include overlooking important data or variables, relying too heavily on assumptions or preconceived notions, and not considering potential flaws or limitations in your solution. It is important to approach problem-solving with an open mind and to thoroughly analyze and evaluate all aspects of your solution.