Design a Newspaper Boat: Tips & Tricks

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of building a newspaper boat for entertainment purposes, specifically for racing in swimming pools. The person is considering using shellack, tape, and newspaper, and is seeking advice on the best design and method for creating the boat. They suggest building it in the shape of a kayak, but are unsure about how to layer the materials. They also inquire about good resources for researching the project.
stanford1463

Homework Statement

Newspaper Boat- So I have been thinking about designing a newspaper boat out of pure entertainment. I want to build a boat out of shellack, tape, and newspaper, to maximize speed (to race people in swimming pools). considering i have some amount of these supplies, what would be the best design? how should I go about doing this?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've thought of building a boat in the shape of a kayak, since kayaks seem to go the fastest with their thin build. but how should I layer the boat with newspaper and tape/shellack? any ideas/hints? any good websites for researching into this? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds like fun! You really should play with it before looking anything up.

I would recommend starting by doing some research on the properties of newspaper, tape, and shellack. Understanding the strength, durability, and water resistance of these materials will help you design a more efficient boat. You can also look into different boat designs and their characteristics, such as speed and stability, to get some inspiration for your own design.

In terms of layering the materials, I would suggest experimenting with different configurations and testing them in a controlled environment, such as a small pool, to see which one works best. You can also try reinforcing certain areas with extra layers or using different types of tape or shellack to see how they affect the boat's performance.

Additionally, I would recommend considering the weight of the boat and how it may affect its speed. Using too much material or layering it too thickly may slow down the boat. You may also want to consider adding a small mast and sail to utilize wind power and potentially increase the boat's speed.

As for resources, there are many websites and videos available that provide tips and tricks for building newspaper boats. I would suggest looking at a variety of sources and using your own creativity and experimentation to come up with the best design for your specific materials and goals. Good luck with your project!

1. Can any type of newspaper be used for making a boat?

Yes, any type of newspaper can be used as long as it is not too thin or too glossy. Thicker and more absorbent newspapers tend to work better for making sturdy boats.

2. What is the best way to fold the newspaper for maximum strength?

The best way to fold the newspaper is by using the "hot dog" method, where you fold the newspaper in half lengthwise, then fold the sides towards the center crease, and finally fold the entire thing in half again. This creates a strong and sturdy base for the boat.

3. How can I make sure my newspaper boat is waterproof?

To make your newspaper boat waterproof, you can use clear packing tape or waterproof sealant to cover the entire surface of the boat. You can also add a layer of plastic wrap or wax paper on the inside of the boat to prevent water from seeping in.

4. Are there any specific designs or shapes that work better for newspaper boats?

There is no specific design or shape that guarantees a successful newspaper boat, but generally, boats with a wide and flat bottom tend to be more stable and can hold more weight. You can also experiment with different shapes and designs to see which one works best for you.

5. How can I make my newspaper boat more durable and long-lasting?

To make your newspaper boat more durable and long-lasting, you can use multiple layers of newspaper and add reinforcement to the bottom and sides of the boat. You can also use a waterproof sealant or a layer of plastic wrap to protect the boat from water damage.