Efficient Programmable Button Device for Customized Switch Functions

• Thread starter EkBlu14
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a programmable "button" device that can execute different functions based on the position of a switch. Various suggestions are made, including using a microcontroller or a simple switch with discreet logic. The conversation also mentions the availability of resources for programming the device.
EkBlu14
Programmable "Button"..

I need a programmable "button" type device that will connect to a switch and will execute one function if the switch is on and a different one if the switch is off.
I'm not really sure what type of device to use as I've only had a couple semesters in EE so any advice would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks in advance,

Engineering news on Phys.org

I think that we will need more information about how the device you are hooking up the button too will work.

Because for example, one way to do it might be to use a simple switch where the button will send a signal down one of the lines (whichever one the switch is set to). Another way would be to send a different kind of signal down a single line depending on what the switch is set to.

Easiest solution would be some sort of microcontroller such as one of the low-end PIC series (a PIC16F84A should do nicely) or the more user-friendly BASIC Stamp. Getting started with these entails some overhead--you need a programmer, at the very least--and a learning curve in terms of programming but once you've got those there are numerous advantages over discreet logic. For one, it's a snap to alter the behavior by simply reprogramming the device.

The following is sort of how I want it to function...

Button> Switch>
|if on---> Trigger (Speaker/Pre-recorded Message System)
|if off---> Trigger (Answering Machine/ Mic)Programming I don't think will be a big deal since I have a wide range of references at school...

How about just using a single pole double throw (SPDT) or a double pole double throw (DPDT) switch? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switch"

Last edited by a moderator:

What is a Programmable Button?

A programmable button is a button that can be customized to perform a specific function or task, often through programming or software settings.

How does a Programmable Button work?

A programmable button works by having an electronic circuit or microcontroller that can be programmed to recognize and respond to specific inputs or commands. This allows the button to perform a specific action when pressed or activated.

What are the benefits of using Programmable Buttons?

Programmable buttons offer a range of benefits, including increased efficiency and productivity by automating tasks, customization for individual preferences and needs, and accessibility for individuals with disabilities.

What types of devices can be controlled with Programmable Buttons?

Programmable buttons can be used to control a variety of devices, such as computers, gaming consoles, smart home devices, and even robots. As long as the device can be connected to the button and respond to its programmed commands, it can be controlled.

How can I program a Programmable Button?

The method of programming a programmable button may vary depending on the specific device or software used. Some buttons may have dedicated programming software, while others may require coding or scripting. Consult the manufacturer's instructions for specific programming instructions.