Proving the Invertibility of Composed One-to-One Functions

• Thread starter John O' Meara
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functions
In summary, the proof shows that if f and g are one-to-one, then the composition f o g is also one-to-one.
John O' Meara

Homework Statement

Prove: if f and g are one-to-one (i.e., invertible), then so is the composition [tex] f \circ g[/tex]

Homework Equations

I think you prove that the composition f o g has an inverse? As, a function has an inverse if and only if it is one-to-one.

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex](f \circ g)^{-1}((f \circ g)(x))=x\\ (f \circ g)((f \circ g)^{-1}(x))=x. \\ (f \circ g)^{-1}((f \circ g)(x))= (f(g(x)))^{-1}(f(g(x))) = f^{-1}(g(x)^{-1})(f(g(x)))[/tex]. I wonder can I do just what I have just done? Help gratefully received, thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
John O' Meara said:

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex](f \circ g)^{-1}((f \circ g)(x))=x\\ (f \circ g)((f \circ g)^{-1}(x))=x. \\ (f \circ g)^{-1}((f \circ g)(x))= (f(g(x)))^{-1}(f(g(x))) = f^{-1}(g(x)^{-1})(f(g(x)))[/tex]. I wonder can I do just what I have just done? Help gratefully received, thank you.

You can't assume f(g(x)) is invertible, because just as you said, a function is invertible if and only if it is one to one, so your assumption is equivalent to what you are trying to prove.

Remember that g(x) is one to one if and only if g(a) = g(b) implies a = b, for any a, b in the domain of g.

Can you prove that f(g(x)) is one to one now?

I didn't know that "g(x) is one to one if and only if g(a)=g(b), etc,". I know that if (a,b)is a point on the graph of y=g(x) then b=g(a), which is equivalent to the statement that [tex] a=g^{-1}(b)[/tex], which means that (b,a) is a point on the graph of g_inverse. And that then g and g_inverse are symmetrical about the line y=x.

Yes but you're trying to prove that f(g(x)) is one-to-one.

Our function g(x) is invertible if and only g(a) = g(b) implies a = b. That is one of the definitions of one-to-one.

f is also one to one. So by the definition of one-to-one we can say...

We can say that g and f have got inverse functions in consequence of being one to one, which states that: a function that assigns distinct outputs to distinct inputs is one to one.

So we can write [tex] f^{-1}(f(x))=x. f(f^{-1}(x))=x.[/tex] And the same is true for g. But I still cannot see how you can write f o g is one to one?

There is no need to apply inverses. JG89's definition of one-to-one is probably the most commonly utilized one, and it is clearly the easiest to apply here. The contrapositive simply states if you have two distinct inputs (a =/= b), then the outputs are distinct (f(a) =/= f(b)). An equivalent definition is that for each point b in the image of the domain of the function, there is only one element a in the domain such that f(a) = b. But all you have to prove is that for a and b in the domain of f composed with g, if f(g(a)) = f(g(b)) then a = b.

Take an example:

[tex]f(x)=\frac{1}{x}[/tex]

f(x) is invertible i.e:

[tex]y=\frac{1}{x}[/tex]

[tex]x=\frac{1}{y}[/tex]

If the inverse is g(y) or

[tex]g(y)=\frac{1}{y}[/tex]

we can write it as:

[tex]g(x)=\frac{1}{x}[/tex]

so that f(x)=g(x), and the composition f(g(x))=f-1(x)=g-1(x)

Regards.

Thanks for the replies, it looks very easy now that it is done.

1. What is a proof for a one-to-one function?

A proof for a one-to-one function is a mathematical demonstration that shows that each element in the function's domain maps to a unique element in the function's range. This means that no two distinct elements in the domain can map to the same element in the range.

2. How do you prove that a function is one-to-one?

To prove that a function is one-to-one, you can use the horizontal line test. This involves drawing horizontal lines across the function's graph and checking if each line intersects the graph at only one point. If this is true for all horizontal lines, then the function is one-to-one.

3. What is the difference between one-to-one and onto functions?

A one-to-one function is a function where each element in the domain maps to a unique element in the range. An onto function, also known as a surjective function, is a function where every element in the range is mapped to by at least one element in the domain.

4. Can a function be both one-to-one and onto?

Yes, a function can be both one-to-one and onto. This type of function is known as a bijection. It means that each element in the domain maps to a unique element in the range, and every element in the range is mapped to by at least one element in the domain.

5. How can you determine if a function is both one-to-one and onto algebraically?

To determine if a function is both one-to-one and onto algebraically, you can use the vertical line test. This involves drawing vertical lines and checking if each line intersects the graph at only one point. If this is true for all vertical lines, then the function is both one-to-one and onto.