Continuous Function Problems AP Calculus

In summary, to find the positive values of a for which f is continuous for all real numbers x, we need to consider the continuity of polynomials, products of continuous functions, and quotients of continuous functions. After considering these, we can determine that a=4 allows for f to be continuous for all real numbers x. However, canceling out terms in the function is not allowed as it can alter the function and its continuity.
Loppyfoot

Homework Statement

Let f be the function given by f(x)= (x-1)(x²-4)/ (x²-a). For What Positive Values of a is f continuous for all real numbers x?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

What I tried doing was separating the (x²-4) into (x+2)(x-2) then moving along from there, but I can't seem to figure out what number a can be without having a discontinuity.

Thanks for trying!
Loppyfoot

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint:

1. Are polynomials continuous?
2. Are products of continuous functions continuous?
3. Are quotients of continuous continuous?

Are any of the answers above valid for all values of x or are any of them subject to some "if" conditions?

So Then, I would guess a=4, because the the (x²-4) and the (x²-4) cancel out and you are left with (x-1).

You aren't permitted to cancel anything out since that makes minor changes in the function. Try answering the three questions I posed. That might lead you to the solution.

1. What is a continuous function?

A continuous function is a function that has no abrupt changes or breaks in its graph. This means that the graph has a smooth and connected appearance, with no gaps or holes.

2. How do you determine if a function is continuous?

A function is considered continuous if its graph is a continuous, unbroken line. This means that the function is defined at every point within its domain and there are no breaks or jumps in the graph.

3. What is the Intermediate Value Theorem and how does it relate to continuous functions?

The Intermediate Value Theorem states that if a continuous function has values of opposite signs at two points in its domain, then it must have a root (or zero) between those two points. This theorem is useful in finding roots of functions and proving the existence of solutions to equations.

4. What are some common types of continuous function problems in AP Calculus?

Some common types of continuous function problems in AP Calculus include finding limits of continuous functions, determining where a function is continuous or discontinuous, and using the Intermediate Value Theorem to find roots of functions.

5. How can I improve my problem-solving skills for continuous function problems in AP Calculus?

To improve your problem-solving skills for continuous function problems in AP Calculus, it is important to practice regularly and familiarize yourself with different types of problems. It can also be helpful to review the properties and theorems related to continuous functions. Additionally, seeking guidance from a teacher or tutor can also aid in improving your skills.