Simple Harmonic Motion and Gravitation: Solving for r(t)

In summary: So long story short, the harmonic solution is a function that will oscillate at the given frequency, given that you know the initial conditions and the gravitational spring constant.In summary, the mass oscillates at the given frequency given that you know the gravitational spring constant and the initial conditions.
authgeek
I'm working on a problem on relating gravitation and simple harmonic motion. The idea is that a mass dropped in a hole drilled through the Earth will oscillate (no friction, etc).

The question asks this:
"Show that the motion of the mass is simple harmonic motion and find a formula for r(t)"

So, I'm starting with the basic r(t) equation for simple harmonic motion, r(t) = Acos(wt) where A is the total radius of the Earth (the amplitude), t is the time and w is the angular frequency. My problem is that any attempt to find an angular frequency seems to involve dictating the distance from the center, r, which is what I'm trying to find as a function of time.

The best I've been able to come up with is w = sqrt(k/m) where k is the "gravitational spring constant" involving (4/3)pi * p * R * G, R being the radius that I'm trying to find.

How should I find w in this case?

Physics news on Phys.org
First, considerer Newtons gravitation law:

[tex]F = \frac{-GmM}{r^{2}}[/tex];

where the minus sign indicates that the force is attractive. Now consider a body moving through the center of the Earth, at a distance r(t) from the center. Suppose that the Earth has constant mass density [tex]\rho[/tex]. Tha total mass "below" (e.g, that will effectively exerct a resultant force uppon) the particle located at position r(t) (supposing that r(t) is always smaller than the outter radius of the Earth) will be clearly a function of r of the form:

[tex]M = \frac{4 \rho \pi r^{3} }{3}[/tex];

Plugging that formulae on Newton's gravitation law and writing F = ma we have:

[tex]a = \frac{-4 G \rho \pi r^{3}}{3 r^{2}} = \frac{-4 G \rho \pi r}{3} [/tex];

Then, writing [tex] a = \frac{d^{2}r}{dt^{2}}[/tex], we get:

[tex] \frac{d^{2}r}{dt^{2}} = \frac{-4 G \rho \pi r}{3} [/tex];

Solving for r (which should be easy enough) you get the harmonic solution and, furthermore, the angular frequency of oscilation.

Quiablo -

Thanks for your reply, it's very helpful. One question: When you say "the harmonic solution", what does that mean conceptually? I follow the math, but I'm a little fuzzy on the terminology.

I just wanted to mean that you will get, as a solution to the differential equation, a harmonic function of the form A cos(Bx), as you said it should be. You can right solutions of the exponential form also, complex exponentials, but that won't help you much in this case.

The general solution to the the second order diff equation:

[tex]\frac{d^{2}r}{dt^{2}} = -C r[/tex]

where C substitutes the group of multiplying constants, can be written in the form:

[tex]r(t) = A_{1} cos (Bt) + A_{2} sin (Bt)[/tex]

or equivalently:

[tex]r(t) = A_{3} cos (Bt + \phi )[/tex];

Where A1, A2, A3, B and [tex]\phi[/tex] are all constats, to be determined by the initial conditions of the problem (except for B, which will be determined directly by C, which is known by looking at the orignal equation).

1. What is simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion in which the displacement of an object from its equilibrium position follows a sinusoidal pattern. This type of motion is characterized by a restoring force that is directly proportional to the displacement and acts in the opposite direction of the displacement.

2. What is the equation for simple harmonic motion?

The equation for simple harmonic motion is x(t) = A*cos(ωt + φ), where x(t) is the displacement of the object, A is the amplitude, ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the phase angle.

3. How is simple harmonic motion related to gravitation?

Simple harmonic motion is related to gravitation through Newton's law of universal gravitation, which states that the force of gravity between two objects is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This can be seen in the equation for the restoring force in simple harmonic motion, where the force is directly proportional to the displacement.

4. How do you solve for r(t) in simple harmonic motion and gravitation?

To solve for r(t) in simple harmonic motion and gravitation, you can use the equation r(t) = r0 + x(t), where r0 is the equilibrium distance between the two objects and x(t) is the displacement of the object from its equilibrium position. This equation can be derived from the equation for the force of gravity and the equation for simple harmonic motion.

5. How does the period of simple harmonic motion change with changing r0?

The period of simple harmonic motion is directly proportional to the square root of r0. This means that as r0 increases, the period of the motion will also increase. Similarly, as r0 decreases, the period of the motion will decrease.