Admittance into BME graduate program

In summary, Biosystems engineering senior at a Research 1 university with a 3.1 GPA is considering applying to graduate schools and is considering Case Western, MIT, Johns Hopkins, and some other top programs. If anyone has any advice it would be very helpful.
engr21q
Hello all,

I am currently a Biosystems engineering senior at a Research 1 university and I am in the process of applying to graduate schools. I just wanted some advice on my chances of getting into a good Biomedical engineering program.

My current GPA is sitting around a 3.1, and it will be most likely around a 3.2 at my time of application. This is due to the fact that I was a pre-med student and I did not do so well in some of the medical school pre-req courses (o chem, etc.) With the exception of one failed engineering course that I am retaking, my low GPA is all due to the medical school pre-requisites I took. I have not taken the GRE yet (that is happening in mid-November) but I expect that I will get good scores. As far as research experience, I have worked in a research lab on campus for about a year, working with nanoparticles, lanthanide-based fluoroscopy techniques, and other biomedical imaging methods.

My main concern at the moment is that my low GPA may bar be from getting into a good program. Most programs state that the average applicant GPA is a 3.5, which is significantly higher than my application GPA will be. I expect good GRE scores, great recommendation letters, etc. but I wanted to know if anyone had any insight into my chances of getting into good BME programs.

Currently the list of schools I want to apply to are:

University of Virginia
University of Michigan
Boston University
UCSD
UCSF
Case Western

I am toying with the idea of applying to MIT, Johns Hopkins, and some other top programs but as I stated before, my GPA concerns are putting me off from applying there.

If anyone has any advice it would be extremely helpful! Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't speak for the others but Case Western is pretty much a 3.5 GPA for all engineering departments, including BME. The only two grad students I know in the BME department are for like 4.0 GPA undergrad students but I'm sure that's not the norm.

But it's worth a shot. Case has a lot of research opportunities and the collaborate with the Cleveland Clinic quite a lot so it's a lot of valuable experience.

I have also applied to bme grad programs:

MIT
UCB
UCdavis
UCIrvine
BU
U Michigan
Arizona state U

I went to rutgers as BME undergrad. Any one from rutgers? when do most of these schools send out a decision?

1. What are the minimum requirements for admission into a BME graduate program?

The minimum requirements for admission into a BME graduate program vary by institution, but generally include a bachelor's degree in a related field (such as engineering or biology), a strong GPA, letters of recommendation, a personal statement, and standardized test scores (such as the GRE). Some programs may also require relevant work experience or research experience.

2. Are there any prerequisites that I need to have completed before applying for a BME graduate program?

Again, the specific prerequisites may vary by program, but most BME graduate programs will require coursework in math, biology, and engineering. Some may also have additional requirements in areas such as physiology or chemistry. It is important to research and understand the specific prerequisites of the program you are interested in applying to.

3. How important are my GRE scores for admission into a BME graduate program?

GRE scores are typically one factor in the overall evaluation of an applicant for a BME graduate program. While a strong score can certainly improve your chances of admission, it is not the only factor that admissions committees consider. Other factors such as letters of recommendation, personal statements, and relevant experience also play a significant role in the decision-making process.

4. Is it necessary to have a background in both engineering and biology to be admitted into a BME graduate program?

While having a background in both engineering and biology can certainly be beneficial for a BME graduate program, it is not always required. Many programs welcome students from diverse academic backgrounds and provide courses or resources for students to fill in any gaps in their knowledge. It is important to carefully review the curriculum of the program you are interested in to see if it aligns with your academic background and goals.

5. Can I apply for a BME graduate program if I do not have a bachelor's degree in a related field?

Some BME graduate programs may consider applicants with a bachelor's degree in a different field, especially if they have relevant work experience or have completed relevant coursework. However, it is important to carefully review the admissions requirements and speak with an admissions representative to determine if your background aligns with the program's expectations. In some cases, additional coursework or prerequisites may be required before applying.