Conservation of Angular Momentum problem

In summary, when a small object is dropped onto the turntable, it sticks to the surface and the turntable rotates. The angular velocity of the turntable is 72.7 rpm.
nahanksh

Homework Statement

A turntable has a mass of 1 kg and a radius of 0.17 m and is initially rotating freely at 78 rpm (ωi,t = 8.168 rad/s). There are no external torques acting on the system. The moment of inertia of the turntable can be approximated by that of a disk (Idisk = MR^2/2).
http://online.physics.uiuc.edu/cgi/courses/shell/common/showme.pl?courses/phys211/oldexams/exam3/sp09/fig23.gif
A small object, initially at rest, is dropped vertically onto the turntable and sticks to the turntable at a distance d of 0.10 m from its center as shown in the figure. When the small object is rotating with the turntable, the angular velocity of the turntable ωf,t is 72.7 rpm (7.613 rad/s). What is the mass of the small object that was dropped onto the turntable?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Here i have got everything but the angular velocity of the object when combined with the disk...
I only know the smaller radius, the higher angular velocity, but i am not sure how to get the exact value with numerical calculation...

Please Could someone help me out here to get the angular velocity of the object?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
nahanksh said:

The Attempt at a Solution

Here i have got everything but the angular velocity of the object when combined with the disk...
I only know the smaller radius, the higher angular velocity, but i am not sure how to get the exact value with numerical calculation...

Please Could someone help me out here to get the angular velocity of the object?

But you have the final angular velocity as 72.7rpm.

Just find the initial angular momentum and equate that to the final angular momentum. Itotal would be the sum of the Idisk+Imass

Oh!
I thought the final velocity given was only for the disk without considering the object...
But it turns out it's the velocity of combined system ( obj + disk...)

I've got it.
Thanks a lot !

1. What is the Conservation of Angular Momentum problem?

The Conservation of Angular Momentum problem is a principle in physics that states that the total angular momentum of a closed system remains constant over time, unless acted upon by an external torque. In simpler terms, this means that the amount of rotational motion in a system will remain constant as long as there are no outside forces causing a change.

2. Why is the Conservation of Angular Momentum important?

The Conservation of Angular Momentum is important because it is a fundamental law of nature that applies to a wide range of physical systems, from subatomic particles to galaxies. It helps us understand the behavior of rotating objects and allows us to make predictions about their motion.

3. How is angular momentum conserved?

Angular momentum is conserved because it is a product of an object's mass, velocity, and distance from a fixed point. The law of conservation of angular momentum states that if there are no external forces acting on a system, the total angular momentum of that system will remain constant.

4. Can angular momentum be transferred between objects?

Yes, angular momentum can be transferred between objects through collisions or interactions. This is known as angular impulse and is similar to linear impulse in the conservation of linear momentum. However, the total angular momentum of the system will still remain constant.

5. How is the Conservation of Angular Momentum applied in real life?

The Conservation of Angular Momentum has many practical applications in everyday life. For example, it explains why an ice skater spins faster when they pull their arms closer to their body, and why a spinning top will not fall over even when it is not perfectly upright. It is also used in engineering to design stable structures and in space travel to control the motion of spacecraft.