Breaking 120V Loads using 24V Relay - Beginner Help Needed

In summary, when using 24v to break 120v loads, it is best to break the hot leg of the circuit to avoid any accidents. Most power relays with a 24v coil and 120v contacts can be used for this purpose. When wanting to switch a relay for a 230V connection using 120V, it is important to find a relay with a coil rated for 110-130V and is capable of switching the required current. It is also important to derate the relay for inductive loads.
three phase
I want to use 24v to break 120v loads. I understand the logic for dc circuits but I am not sure how to break 120v loads.

What relay do i use? I was looking at the altronix RAC120 or RAC24.

Do I break just the hot leg of the 120v?

Any help on such a beginner question would be helpful! Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
As in 'digital' circuits, you just need to break the circuit and interrupt the flow of charge. In theory, you could break either leg. In practice, it's better to break the 'hot' leg, just in case someone/thing accidentally grounds out part of the circuit/case that is still hot, or cuts the cable, or some such.

Most power relays can do the trick, as long as the 120V doesn't arc across the contacts (as may be the case when the contact and paddle/reed are particularly close together, as may be the case with low voltage relays). If there's an AC rating for the contacts, it should do the trick. Obviously, the coil must be rated for 24V (AC or DC, you don't specify).

You want a relay with a coil rating 24 VDC and 120 V contacts, make sure that it is rated for the current that you are switching.

Great. I have relays that will do that. Thanks fellas

Anyone know how to do this exact same thing but use 120V (instead of 24V) to switch the relay for 230V (instead of 120V) connection.

I want to turn on and off a 230V pump, but using a controller that already sends 120V on/off. I am just trying to avoid buying another controller that will switch on and off 230V.

Nick

nlaham said:
Anyone know how to do this exact same thing but use 120V (instead of 24V) to switch the relay for 230V (instead of 120V) connection.

I want to turn on and off a 230V pump, but using a controller that already sends 120V on/off. I am just trying to avoid buying another controller that will switch on and off 230V.

Nick

Yes: find a relay with a coil rated for between 110 and 130 Vac (or AC/DC, but don't use one that's just for DC) which is capable of switching 230 Vac at the current required. For instance, I found this at Digikey by looking for relays, narrowing it down to those between 110 and 130 Vac and then sorting by carrying current:
http://search.digikey.com/us/en/products/G7L-1A-TUB-J-CB-AC100%2F120/Z814-ND/127305

Last edited by a moderator:
Be sure you derate the relay for inductive loads. The stated contact capacities are generally for resistive loads. The manufacturers provide a cut sheet for the derating.

Last edited:

1. How does using a 24V relay allow for breaking 120V loads?

A 24V relay is able to control a higher voltage load, such as 120V, by using a lower voltage control signal. This is because the relay acts as an electrical switch, using the 24V signal to open or close a circuit carrying the higher voltage load.

2. Can a beginner safely work with 24V relays and 120V loads?

Yes, as long as proper safety precautions are taken and the individual has a basic understanding of electrical circuits. It is important to follow all safety guidelines and to use caution when working with high voltage.

3. What are the main benefits of using a 24V relay for breaking 120V loads?

Using a 24V relay allows for a smaller, lower voltage control signal to be used, which can be more easily integrated into control systems. This also helps to reduce the risk of electrical shock and damage to equipment.

4. Are there any limitations to using a 24V relay for breaking 120V loads?

The main limitation is that the relay must be rated for the specific voltage and current of the load being controlled. It is also important to consider the voltage drop and power loss that may occur when using a lower voltage control signal for a higher voltage load.

5. How can I determine the appropriate 24V relay for my 120V load?

It is important to consider the voltage and current ratings of the load, as well as the switching capacity and type of relay needed (such as a SPDT or DPDT relay). Consulting with an experienced electrician or engineer can also help in selecting the appropriate relay for your specific application.