Rotating Conducting Cylinder in B - Induced Voltage

In summary, the rotating conducting cylinder in a magnetic field causes an induced voltage. To solve the problem, one uses motional emf and Faraday's law.
xcvxcvvc
Rotating Conducting Cylinder in B -- Induced Voltage

[PLAIN]http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/2600/47007002.jpg

I understand how to use motional emf to solve this problem.
[tex]\int_C U \times B\, dl[/tex]
[tex]U = \omega R[/tex]
and
[tex] \int_C dl = H[/tex]
so the answer, symbolically, is
[tex] \omega RHB[/tex]
where [tex]\omega[/tex] is the spinning in rad/s, R is the radius of the cylinder, H is the cylinder's height, and B is the radial magnetic field.

Could someone help me to use Faraday's law to derive the same answer? In my mind, the magnetic flux is constant since if you take snapshots of the spinning cylinder, you always have the same magnetic field flowing through the same surface area (which I believe to be the cylinder's surface area minus to two circular tops).

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Think of it this way: The conducting cylinder has all those electrons in it that are free to move. They have velocity v = ω x r and they are in a magnetic field, which means they experience a Lorentz force F = qvxB, which means they will move in response to that force. This is another way of saying that we have motional emf.

Having said that, I hasten to add that this problem does not sit well with me because, strictly speaking, you cannot have a purely radial B field. Such a field violates the "No magnetic monopoles" Maxwell equation.

Last edited:

kuruman said:
Think of it this way: The conducting cylinder has all those electrons in it that are free to move. They have velocity v = ω x r and they are in a magnetic field, which means they experience a Lorentz force F = qvxB, which means they will move in response to that force. This is another way of saying that we have motional emf.

Having said that, I hasten to add that this problem does not sit well with me because, strictly speaking, you cannot have a purely radial B field. Such a field violates the "No magnetic monopoles" Maxwell equation.

I understand that interpretation in solving the problem as I did provide a solution using motional emf. I seek to understand more completely Faraday's law, which does not use Lorentz force as far as I can tell.

Do you know how correctly to apply the rate of change in flux to arrive to the same answer?

xcvxcvvc said:
Do you know how correctly to apply the rate of change in flux to arrive to the same answer?
Consider a sliver of an area element on the surface of the cylinder that runs down the cylinder's length. It has "width" Rdθ and "length" H. The area is
dA = HRdθ
This area element takes time dt to rotate by amount dθ, so the rate of change of flux through it is
dΦ/dt = B dA/dt = B HRdθ/dt = BHRω. :wink:

1. How does a rotating conducting cylinder in a magnetic field induce voltage?

When a conducting cylinder is placed in a magnetic field and rotated, the changing magnetic field lines through the cylinder cause a change in the magnetic flux. This change in flux induces an electric field, which in turn creates a voltage in the cylinder.

2. What factors affect the magnitude of the induced voltage in a rotating conducting cylinder?

The magnitude of the induced voltage depends on the strength of the magnetic field, the speed of rotation, and the length and radius of the cylinder. Additionally, the angle between the cylinder's axis and the magnetic field will also affect the induced voltage.

3. How is the direction of the induced voltage determined in a rotating conducting cylinder?

The direction of the induced voltage is determined by Lenz's Law, which states that the direction of the induced current will always oppose the change in magnetic flux that caused it. In other words, the induced voltage will create a current that will produce a magnetic field that opposes the original magnetic field.

4. Can the induced voltage in a rotating conducting cylinder be increased?

Yes, the induced voltage can be increased by increasing the strength of the magnetic field, the speed of rotation, or the length and radius of the cylinder. Additionally, using a stronger conductor with lower resistance can also increase the induced voltage.

5. What are some practical applications of a rotating conducting cylinder in a magnetic field?

One practical application is in generators, where a rotating conducting cylinder is used to convert mechanical energy into electrical energy. This is also used in electric motors, where the opposite process occurs, converting electrical energy into mechanical energy. Another application is in magnetic sensors, where the induced voltage can be measured to determine the strength and direction of a magnetic field.