Partial differential equation reduced but

In summary, the person is working on a system of coupled differential equations and is trying to find solutions in the form of exponential functions. They are considering using the Ritz method or a numerical method such as the shooting method or finite difference method. They are also advised to double-check their equations and consult with others for further guidance.
derdack
Hi everybody... I have problem with this system of equation

d^4 (T1[t])/dt^4 + (A1 - B1*f[x])*d^2 (T1[t])/dt^2 + (C1 + D1*f[x])*
T1[t] - E1*T2[t] = 0

d^4 (T2[t])/dt^4 + (A2 - B2*f[x])*d^2 (T2[t])/dt^2 + (C2 + D2*f[x])*
T2[t] - E2*T1[t] = 0

X[x] = (Ch[k*x] + Cos[k*x])/(Ch[k*l] - Cos[k*l]) - (Sh[k*x] +
Sin[k*x])/(Sh[k*l] - Sin[k*l]);

f[x] = X''[x]/X[x];

A1,B1,C1,D1,E1,A2,B2,C2,D2,E2,l,l are constants. The solutions are in this form e^i*r*t. And than I can get a determinant which must be equal to zero because of non trivial solutions. Form is

r[x]^4-V1[x]*r[x]^2+P1[x] -S1
-S2 r[x]^4-V2[x]*r[x]^2+P2[x]

S1,S2 are constants

I need a solutions r, not a solutions r as a function of x. PLEASE! Ritz method can help but ...

Derdack in big problem...

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi Derdack,

Thank you for sharing your problem with us. It seems like you are working with a system of coupled differential equations, and you are trying to find the solutions in the form of exponential functions. Your goal is to find the values of r that satisfy the determinant equation for non-trivial solutions.

One approach you could take is to use the Ritz method, as you mentioned. This method involves approximating the solutions with a trial function that satisfies the boundary conditions of the problem. Then, you can plug this trial function into the differential equations and solve for the unknown coefficients. This method can be useful for problems with complicated boundary conditions, like yours.

Another approach you could try is to use a numerical method, such as the shooting method or finite difference method. These methods involve discretizing the differential equations and solving them numerically. The shooting method involves guessing initial values for the solutions and adjusting them until the boundary conditions are satisfied. The finite difference method involves approximating the derivatives with finite differences and solving the resulting system of equations.

I would also recommend checking your equations and boundary conditions to make sure they are correct. It may also be helpful to consult with a colleague or a professor for further guidance on how to approach this problem.

I wish you the best of luck in finding a solution to your problem. Don't give up, and keep exploring different methods and techniques. Science and research can be challenging, but the satisfaction of finding a solution is worth the effort. Good luck!

1. What is a partial differential equation (PDE)?

A PDE is a mathematical equation that involves an unknown function of several variables and its partial derivatives. It is commonly used to model physical phenomena in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. What does it mean for a PDE to be "reduced"?

Reducing a PDE means simplifying it to a more manageable form. This can involve eliminating certain terms or variables, or finding a simpler equivalent equation.

3. Why would you want to reduce a PDE?

Reducing a PDE can make it easier to solve or analyze, as well as providing insights into the behavior of the underlying system. It also allows for more efficient computational methods to be used.

4. What are some techniques for reducing a PDE?

There are many techniques for reducing PDEs, including separation of variables, Fourier/Laplace transforms, change of variables, and similarity transformations. These methods depend on the specific form and properties of the PDE.

5. Can all PDEs be reduced?

No, not all PDEs can be reduced to simpler forms. Some PDEs are already in their simplest form or cannot be reduced using known techniques. In these cases, alternative methods such as numerical approximations may be used to solve the PDE.